Teas of Ceylon are, like most Indian teas, blended at high altitudes. However, Ceylon teas come from Sri Lanka; The reason for the name Ceylon is the fact that Sri Lanka was once, indeed, called Ceylon. Sri Lanka has been called the Teardrop of India due to its shape.

Ceylon teas are well known due to having a very clean taste- but are fairly weak, in my opinion. Some say it's quite strong, but compared to others it is actually fairly weak-- Twinnings's brand Ceylon decides not to comment, calling it a "brisk" tea- which while a true description, does nothing to tell of the strength.

The brew is soft, and the scent is almost perfume-like, and very sweet. Though nowhere near the league of teas like Earl Grey, it still has a lot of citric flavour, especially lemons. Due to their lack of strength, they make good general teas and excellent meal-time and evening teas, though many prefer something stronger in the morning. A good point is that Ceylon is quite sweet and lacks a lot of bitterness, making it suitable for most palates.

If steeped well, they build strength, and become a quite average tea, suitable with milk, sugar and occasionally honey; Otherwise, they are quite weak and shouldn't really be drunk with milk; It is good with lemon, too, brining out yet more citrus flavour.

As standard, one should brew for about 3 and a half minutes, though up to 5 if one is steeping it. It's normlly drunk black or with a little milk, or with lemon; Many like it as an iced tea, and it's quite suitable for such a purpose.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.