An enemy that first appeared in Super Mario Bros. 3. A Chain Chomp is a vicious looking ball with sharp teeth, attached to a block by a chain. As Mario passed, Chain Chomp would quickly lunge in Mario's direction, making it an almost unavoidable enemy. The only ways to defeat it are to put on a Hammer Bros. suit and throw a hammer at it, or to put on a Tanooki suit, become a statue in midair, and land on the Chomp.

In Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Chain Chomps would usually wait on a faraway hill until Yoshi & Baby Mario passed, then fly up and come crashing down, creating a big gap in the path. In later levels, a giant Chain Chomp would chase after Yoshi, eating the soft land underneath Yoshi's feet. If Yoshi managed to outrun it, it would accidentally bite a hard block, stop just short of Yoshi, and fall down. A much smaller Chain Chomp resides chained to a block in Sluggy the Unshaven's Fort (World 5, Level 4). This particular chomp, when turned into a "?" cloud, would lead to a room with an information block that would tell you a secret code to let you play the Yoshi vs. Bandit mini-games. Also in the game was a round boulder called a Chomp Rock, which could roll over enemies and serve as a boost for Yoshi.

A giant barking Chomp appeared in Super Mario 64, chained to a post, guarding a Power Star on Bob-Omb Battlefield. Mario would have to Ground Pound the post 3 times (collecting a Red Coin in the process) to release Chain Chomp, who would jump off into the distance.

A few Chain Chomps appeared in Super Mario Sunshine as red hot puppies who left behind a trail of lava in Pianta Village. Mario would have to put them out with FLUDD (his combination water squirter/jetpack), pull their tails, and launch them into a pond. In a later episode, Mario faced a much larger Chomp, cooled it down, and dragged it to a spa to give it a hot bath.

The character originated from a bad experience Mario/Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto had with a dog as a child. Chain Chomps have also appeared in one of his other games, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, alongside cameo appearances from such Mario characters as Goomba, Boo, and Yoshi.

Zelda info provided by yerricde and Walter. Extra thanks to Servo5678

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.