American actor (1931-2007). Born in New York City, he began a long career on Broadway in the 1950s, appearing in "Hello, Dolly" and "Bye Bye Birdie" and getting nominated for a Tony Award for his work in "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying." He also got work in television, appearing on "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir," "The Golddiggers," "Arnie," and as a regular on Steve Lawrence's variety show. He also starred in Sid and Marty Krofft's trippy "Lidsville" on Saturday morning TV.

In 1973, Reilly got famous, thanks to a gig on a game show called "Match Game." The main point of "Match Game" was that the host, Gene Rayburn (who, as coincidence would have it, Reilly had met years ago when he understudied for him in "Bye Bye Birdie"), would ask a celebrity panel to fill in the blank in a joke. There were other rules, of course, but the main purpose of the game was to get celebrities to make corny and/or racy jokes. Reilly was pretty good at this, and his on-screen personality as a pseudo-snooty put-down artist (usually sparring with Brett Somers) quickly made him the star of the program. Reilly was one of very, very few openly gay television performers in those days -- it may have affected his ability to get other TV roles, but it didn't dent his popularity on "Match Game" a bit. He stayed with the game show for nine years and even returned during the show's brief revival in 1990. In addition, his popularity on "Match Game" got him on Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show" almost a hundred times.

Reilly spent some time working as a Broadway director in 2001, but he's best known for his various guest appearances on television shows, particularly as the quirky author Jose Chung on the hilarious "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" episode of "The X-Files."

Reilly died of complications from pneumonia in late May of 2007.

Research from the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com) and from http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Set/7880/MG/BioChuck.html)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.