Sometimes I like to pretend that I'm healthy. Yesterday was one of those days. My blender carafe broke a while back. Since I'm too cheap to replace it, I layered the following ingredients in a narrow mouthed glass mason jar. As a bonus, I was able to store the leftovers in the jar. If you're making this in a traditional blender carafe you'll want to reverse the order so the high water content fruits are closest to the blade. Play around with the quantities, I throw things together, but I've been making smoothies for years. I aim for a ratio of greens to fruit that's roughly 2:3, but that is by no means a hard and fast rule.

  • 1/2 C celery leaves - Those are the leafy green tops or the tender yellow inside leaves from a regular stalk of celery. I just grabbed a bright green handful.
  • 1 C cherries - I had sour and sweet. Use whatever you have on hand.
  • Lime juice - I squeezed a quarter of a lime over my sliced berries. You may be tempted to skip the lime, I wouldn't. It makes or breaks the smoothie in my opinion.
  • Orange juice - I had half of a Valencia orange that I squeezed. 

When your fruits and juice are at the bottom of your jar or carafe, blend until your smoothie has reached your desired consistency. There are no right or wrong answers here, only personal preferences. Don't have cherries? Substitute blueberries, or another of your favorite fruits. Out of lime? Try lemon. There are infinite varieties and pairings for a novice or expert to experiment with. Or course this is vegan, but I prefer labels like deliciously refreshing, and delightfully tart with a bite of lime.

However you choose to assemble your smoothie, may you always enjoy the very best possible health.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.