A sofa or couch. As far as I can tell, this term is only ever used in Canada and the U.K.; at least, I've never heard it in the U.S.. According to the American Heritage Dictionary, the word is used in Northern California, to which I cannot attest, though having lived there ninety-five percent of my life.

The OED is fairly unhelpful for etymology here, yeilding only that the word derives from the name of a nineteenth century Earl of Chesterfield.

The word can also refer some kind of overcoat, with apparently the same etymology.

The second-largest town in the English county of Derbyshire, and a place with a surprisingly large number of claims to fame.

It is most renowned within England for the archetectural curiosity that is the "crooked spire" of the town's church, which can be seen for many miles around and which forms the crest of both the local government and the football team. How the spire got that way - it has been twisted since the 14th Century - remains a mystery.

In June 2004 the town will also be home to another prominant landmark - an enormous "Solar Pyramid" sundial, to be built at the side of the M1 motorway. Once completed it will be the biggest work of art in the country.

Meanwhile, famous people connected with the town include leading left-wing politician Tony Benn, who was MP for the town between 1984 and 2001, and George Stevenson, the "father of the railway" - buried in Tapton on the town's outskirts. Gordon Banks, arguably the finest goalkeeper in the long history of world football, began his career at Chesterfield Football Club - the fourth-oldest in the Football League, after Notts County, Stoke City and Nottingham Forest.

The town also played a key role in one of the major events in British history - the Glorious Revolution - being the setting for a meeting between three prominent noblemen to plan their part in events which led to the overthrow of King James II in favour of Willam and Mary of Orange.

Chatsworth House, about 10 minutes down the road, is believed to be the basis for Pemberley House, the home of Mr Darcy in Jane Austen's Pride And Prejudice (Austen's love of Derbyshire is reflected in a number of passages in that book).

The first factory of sweet manufacturer Trebor is located in the town, as is the first store of menswear giant Burton's.

Geographically the town is somewhat schizophreic, being neither part of Yorkshire (the southernmost tip of which is just to the north of the town) nor the East Midlands region, which includes Derbyshire's county town Derby as well as the cities of Nottingham and Leicester. Chesterfield does, however, has a great local rivalry with Mansfield, in the neighbouring county of Nottinghamshire. Between them the two towns form the major population centres of the small region of England known as the North Midlands.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.