The Chevrolet Beretta is a front wheel drive coupe produced by General Motors from 1987-1996. The Beretta was produced in base, CL, GT, GTU, Indy, GTZ and Z26 models. A convertible was the pace car for the 1990 Indianapolis 500. Its predecessor in the GM FWD lineup was the Chevrolet Citation. The Beretta featured engine options ranging from the 2.0 L inline four-cylinder to the 3.1L SFI (sequential fuel-injection) V6. The GTZ package is the high-performance Beretta (it posted a 0-to-60 mph time of 7.6 seconds and one of the fastest slalom speeds of any front wheel drive car tested), and was produced from 1990-93. It came standard with Oldsmobile's 2.3 L High Output Quad 4, Getrag 5-speed manual transmission and GM's FE7 performance suspension.

As many of my car write-ups do, this one holds personal value. My first car was a 1988 Beretta GT, bought for me for $1600 by my father in 1998. It was jet-black with blue racing stripes, mag wheels, and dual exhaust. Within a week I had to replace the water pump; a year later, the torque converter went out and I went through six power steering pumps in the course of 8 months (though to be fair, at least three of those were defective off the shelf; I developed a lifelong hatred of that particular mechanic.) Regardless, I babied that car like it was one of my children, lovingly wiping the dashboard down with Armour-All every weekend, waxing her monthly every summer, and attending to every routine maintenance need. In one of my greatest lapses of judgment I traded her in for a 2001 S-10 in 2003. The truck was nothing but grief from the moment I brought it home, but I still remember fondly my sleek black warrior, faithful to the end.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Beretta

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.