I made this simple, French cuisine-inspired dish one night for my family on a whim. I wasn't sure it would work, as I had forgotten where I found the recipe, so I decided to wing it and see what happened. And boy am I glad I did. This is basically a chicken fricassee with a mushroom sauce. It was so good! I hope you enjoy this dish as much as my family did. The leftovers didn't even last the night! Even the sauce was consumed all by itself.


Ingredients

  • Roaster chicken, 3-4 lbs. (1.3-1.8 kg) in pieces

  • 2 10.5 fl. oz. cans cream of mushroom soup

  • 1 cup (8 fl. oz.) chicken broth

  • 2 tbs olive oil, or as needed

  • 4 tbs butter

  • 1 bay leaf

  • 1 tsp dried tarragon

  • 1 tsp dried oregano

  • 1 tsp dried basil

    • *Optional*

  • 8 oz (250g) white or button mushrooms, chopped

  • Method


    In a large pot or flame-proof casserole, melt the olive oil and 1 tbs butter.
    Brown the chicken pieces on all sides, in shifts if necessary. Remove all pieces from the pot and set aside.
    If using the mushrooms, saute them in the pan until they are soft and brown. About five minutes should do it.
    Add the chicken broth to the hot pan, scraping the sides to remove any stuck on bits of chicken.
    Add the 3 tbs of butter one at a time and stir till they are completely melted. Simmer over low heat till the sauce has thickened, about five minutes.
    Add the two cans of cream of mushroom soup and spices, except for the bay leaf. Stir to mix thoroughly.
    Return the chicken to the pot and stir to cover. Place the bay leaf on the top of mixture.
    Cover the pot and simmer for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
    Remove the bay leaf and serve chicken pieces hot and slathered in sauce.

    Serves 4-6

    That's it! This was one of the best meals I've ever made. I recommend serving the chicken over a thick slice of crusty bread or with rice. Enjoy!

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.