These are similar to enchiladas in preparation. I like to make them when I am feeling elaborate. They make a great presentation and are fun to make. Something about making crepes makes me feel like the master of my domain. The finished product looks super, with bits of cilantro and toasted almonds spread out over the crispy browned pancakes. Try them with a simple salad.

Ingredients

  • 6-10 crepes: katycat has written up a good basic recipe. Don’t forget to read my additions to the write up, as the browned butter and the rest make a big difference
  • 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken. I usually just lightly poach some chicken breasts with some sliced ginger in the water, let them cool, and shred them by hand. When shredding the chicken, try to get long thin strands.
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 small onion: diced
  • 2 tablespoons curry powder, or however much you like, not less than 1 tablespoon though.
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
  • 1 ¾ cup chicken stock
  • ¼ cup raisins
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • ¼ cup heavy cream
  • ¼ cup chopped cilantro
  • ¼ cup sliced and toasted almonds. I usually toast these in a pan on the stove while the chicken is cooking.

Method

  1. prepare the crepe batter, brown the butter, let the batter rest and add the butter about 15 minutes into the 30 minute rest period.
  2. Melt the unsalted butter in a medium sauce pan, let it get foamy.
  3. Cook the onions in the butter until they become transparent.
  4. Add the spices to the onions and butter, let them cook for 2 minutes to bring out their flavor.
  5. add the chicken stock and the raisins. Reduce this by 1/3 over medium high heat.
  6. Taste the sauce and adjust the salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
  7. Pour or strain out about a cup of the liquid to use as a sauce, I usually just pour the mixture through a slotted spoon into a bowl.
  8. add the shredded chicken, the cream and drop the heat to a low simmer. You want to continue reducing the sauce until it’s not very liquid at all.
  9. preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
  10. simmer very slowly for about 30 minutes. This is a good time to start making the crepes.
  11. prepare crepes according to the instructions in the crepes write up. Let them cool off to the side.
  12. once your crepes are done, check the sauce, if it has reduced enough (it should be very chunky and not at all soupy, with maybe 1/3 cup of liquid, its tough you just have to eyeball it. It’s not an exact science so don’t stress it, cooking should be fun.
  13. grease a 9x12 inch glass pan. Put a crepe into it, fill it with about 1/3 – ½ cup of the chicken curry, then roll that bad boy up. You don’t want to overstuff the crepes, doing so will overpower the flavor and delicacy of the pancake. Repeat until you have run out of either crepes or curry.
  14. heat the crepes in the oven for 25 minutes or until their edges are browned and the sauce is bubbling, plate them, garnish with the almonds and the cilantro.

robble robble

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.