Hepatitis B
All infants should receive the first dose of Hepatitis B vaccine soon after birth and before hospital discharge. Only monovalent Hep B should be given for this first dose.

The second dose should be given four weeks after the first dose. The third dose should be given sixteen weeks after the first dose and at least eight weeks after the second dose. The last dose of the four dose series should be given no sooner than six months after the baby's birth.

The second Hepatitis B series should be given between two years and 18 years but is usually given in the teen years.


DTaP
The DTaP vaccine is made of diphtheria, tetnus toxiods, and acellular pertussis.

An infant needs four doses of the DTaP vaccine. These should be given at 2 months, four months, six months and 15 to 18 months. The fourth dose can be given as early as 12 months provided it is at least six months after the third dose and the baby is not expected back for a 15 - 18 month visit. The next DTaP booster should be given at four to six years.

The Td vaccine, which is only tetnus and diphtheria toxiods, is recommended at age 11 - 12 provided it has been at least 5 years since the last dose of DTap. A booster every ten years after that is recommended.


Hib
Haemophilus influenzae type b conjugate vaccine should be given at age two months and four months. Then give another dose between 15 and 18 months.


Inactivated Polio
This vaccine protects against polio. Four doses are given; 2 months, 4 months, between 6 and 18 months and the last is given between the child's fourth and sixth birthdays.


MMR
MMR protects against measles, mumps, and rubella. the first dose of MMR should be given between the childs first birthday and fifteenth month. The second dose is usually given between the childs fourth and sixth birthdays but can be given at any time at least four weeks after the first dose.


Varicella
The Varicella vaccine is recommended at any visit at or after twelve months for children who lack a reliable history of chicken pox. Susceptible persons age 13 years or older should receive two doses at least four weeks apart.


Pneumococcal
The Heptavalent pneumoccal conjugate vaccine is recommended for all children aged two to 23 months.


Please see the Everything2 Medical Disclaimer.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.