No, this isn't a recipe for a tasty oriental dish made from assorted bits of pig. It's about the other sort of spam, the kind that keeps turning up in my mailbox every day. And I'm not talking about mail order groceries.

It was alright when I was getting the expected junk mail, the ones telling me about the miracle breakthrough in haircare or the exciting porn I could have access to if I only sold my soul to satan. I wasn't happy about being swamped with junk, but there wasn't much I could do. Besides, it sort of amused me.

Then, one day, a new surprise awaited me, one that would terrify me to the very depths of my soul. I opened my inbox to find the following text staring out:


¹ÌÆà : À̺¸´Ù ¹°ÀÌ ÁÁÀ» ¼ø ¾ø´Ù.!! ºÎÅ· 100 % !!
äÆà : ½Ç½Ã°£À¸·Î ÁøÇàµÇ´Â äÆÃ& ¿¬ÀΰúÀÇ 1:1 µ¥ÀÌÆ®¸¦
Áñ±â¼¼¿ä~ °ÔÀÓ : °íµµ¸®, Æ÷Ä¿, Å×Æ®¸®½ºµîÃÖ°í Àα⠰ÔÀÓÀÌÇÑÀÚ¸®¿¡ !!
¸¸È­ : ¹«Çù¸¸È­, ¼øÁ¤¸¸È­, ¼ºÀθ¸È­, µå¶ó¸¶µî ÀÇ ÃÖ½ÅÀÛÀ» ¸¸³ªº¸¼¼¿ä~
¿µÈ­ : Çѱ¹¿µÈ­°ü, ¿Ü±¹°ü, ¼ºÀΰü ÃëÇâ´ë·Î °ñ¶óº¸¼¼¿ä ~
¿î¼¼ : ¿¬ÀΰúÀÇ ±ÃÇÕ, »çÁÖ, ¶ìº°¿î¼¼ µîÀÇ ¿îÀ» Á¡Ãĺ¸¼¼¿ä~


Right. Well, a little pop-up told me that I had to download a Chinese script to display the actual text. I opted not to -- my Chinese is a little rusty. Perhaps it was a one-off? No such luck. Three months later and I'm still getting spam in a language that I don't understand. I'm pretty sure that some of them are still telling me about miracle breakthroughs and my universal porn-o-meter suggests that I'm still being invited to sell my soul for some barely legal eye candy. I've replied several times (in English) to no avail, leaving me with two decisions. Either I'll have to get a new email address or I'll start learning Chinese. After all, what better reason is there to become bilingual?


stupot has just informed me of this, so I thought I'd quote him: "Several ISPs are blocking all incoming e-mail from China and lots of Chinese companies are complaining about it...and the ISPs are telling China to get a grip on spam, or they'll carry on blocking it."

Interesting fact; I wish my ISP did something about it too. :)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.