(So named (Greek chloros, "pale green") for its color in 1810 by Sir Humphry Davy, who proved it to be an element) A greenish-yellow, poisonous, gaseous chemical element, one of the halogens, having a disagreeable odor and obtained by electrolysis of certain chlorides. It is used as a bleaching agent, in water purification, in various industrial processes, etc.

Symbol: Cl
Atomic number: 17
Atomic weight: 35.4527
Density (at 0°C with 101,325 pascals): 3.214 g/L
Melting point: -101.5°C
Boiling point: -34.04°C
Valence: -1, +1, +3, +5, +7
Ground state electron configuration: [Ne]3s23p5

Chlorine
Symbol: Cl
Atomic Number: 17
Boiling Point: 239.18 K
Melting Point: 172.17 K
Density at 300 K: 3.214 g/cm3
Covalent radius: 0.99
Atomic radius: 0.97
Atomic volume: 18.7 cm3/mol
First ionization potental: 12.967 V
Specific heat capacity: 0.48 J g-1 K-1
Thermal conductivity: 0.0089 W m-1 K-1
Electrical conductivity: N/A
Heat of fusion: 3.21 kJ/mol
Heat of vaporization: 10.20 kJ/mol
Electronegativity: 3.16 (Pauling's)

Previous Sulfur---Argon Next
To the Periodic Table

Chlorine can promote healthy teeth and hair, aid in digestion, help control colic, help to boost a sluggish liver, work to treat skin rashes and other skin disorders, help the body heal tissue injuries.

Natural sources of chlorine are Sea salt (Sodium Chloride - most common), olives, seaweed, fish, raw goat's milk, raw cheese, sardines, and rye flour.

Deficiencies of chlorine are loss of hair and teeth, difficult digestion, and poor muscle contractability.

An interesting side note is that too much chlorine can destroy Vitamin E stores and intestinal flora. Because of this, people who have a high consumtion of chlorine should eat yogurts and increase their intake of Vitamin E and Vitamin C.


Compiled From: www.fda.gov & www.healthyliving.com

How to Manufacture Chlorine Gas

A friend of mine was describing how he used to obtain Chlorine gas for use in manufacturing potassium chloride which he used to to all sorts of fun things, like making c4 and rocket engines.

All you have to do is go to your local convenience store and purchase chlorine bleach and drano. Now, find an empty glass or plastic vessel that can be stoppered with a hose, pour the bleach in until the vessel is about ¼ full, then add an equal amount of drano and quickly stopper the vessel.

The chemical reaction is quite simple, and without going into specifics the drano-fu knocks a chlorine ion off of the bleach molocule and the free chlorine ions combine to form Cl2: chlorine gas.

You can take your hose and use the jet of chlorine gas with whatever you like. You could lead the hose into another stoppered vessel, although you may find the gas is difficult to store.

Be careful! This stuff can be dangerous!

Chlo"rine (?), n. [Gr. pale green, greenish yellow. So named from its color. See Yellow.] Chem.

One of the elementary substances, commonly isolated as a greenish yellow gas, two and one half times as heavy as air, of an intensely disagreeable suffocating odor, and exceedingly poisonous. It is abundant in nature, the most important compound being common salt. It is powerful oxidizing, bleaching, and disinfecting agent. Symbol Cl. Atomic weight, 35.4.

Chlorine family, the elements fluorine, chlorine, bromine, and iodine, called the halogens, and classed together from their common peculiariries.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.