This is my favorite cookie recipe. When I was in the Army, I used to bake a couple of batches to take to the field, and more than once these cookies ensured that my platoon was the first to have a heater for our tent, or served as bribes for essential stuff in short supply (as in toilet paper or batteries). My friends describe them as "brownies to die for". They are best if slightly underdone.

I've put in Hershey's as the brand name because that's what I use. A different brand might cause the cookies to have a slightly different flavor, so other ingredients might need adjustment.

Italics are measurements for the American-measure-challenged, or those that are just plain bad at math. *grin*

Ingredients:

Directions:

1. Beat butter and 1 cup (240 ml) sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Add egg, almond extract and vanilla; beat well. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating to form smooth dough. Stir in small chocolate chips. If necessary, refrigerate dough about 1 hour (1 hour) or until firm enough to handle.

2. Heat oven to 350°F (177°C). Shape dough into 1-1/8-inch (2 4/5 cm) balls; roll in sugar. Place about 2 inches (5 cm) apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Place three slivered almonds on top of each ball; press slightly.

3. Bake 9 to 10 minutes (9 to 10 minutes) or until set. Cool slightly. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 3-1/2 dozen (42) cookies.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.