I’m a very rational person and I don’t believe in the supernatural, but believe me when I say that these Chocolate Heath Bar Cookies did not likely originate from this plane of existence. I suspect that visiting aliens from another dimension phased into our reality, used their advanced technology to assemble this recipe out of a handful of ordinary Earth ingredients, and imparted their culinary secrets onto our race as a gesture of good will and friendship. Should you decide to follow the instructions left behind by our other-worldly brethren, the end result of your baking efforts will be a decadent, sinful toffee cookie that will most definitely be in danger of being gobbled up by your roommates, family, and friends. So, without further ado:

Chocolate Heath Bar Cookies

Ingredients (Metrics in parenthesis, and I apologize in advance for any mistakes in conversion):

  • 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (300 grams)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (5 ml)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda (5 ml)
  • 1 cup softened unsalted butter (2 sticks, or 240 grams)
  • 1 ½ cups sugar (300 grams)
  • 2 eggs (2 non-American eggs)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (5 ml)
  • 1 ½ cups chopped Heath Bar pieces (300 grams)
  • ½ cup chopped walnuts (75 grams)

The Heath bars are, obviously, essential to this recipe. 1 ½ cups is about 8 standard Heath bars, if you’re buying them individually. You should also be able to find packages of chopped toffee bits for baking at most grocery stores, but finding some with chocolate can be difficult. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can try to mix chocolate chips into the works, but I haven’t tried this personally. What I HAVE done, however, is substitute the Heath bars with hard caramels instead, with positive results. The cookie turns out a little chewier, but nowhere near as satisfying as the original recipe.

  1. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda (the “drys”) and set aside.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine the walnuts and Heath bar pieces.
  3. Cream the butter, then add in the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. It’s important to GRADUALLY add the sugar as you beat the butter; don’t just dump the whole cup and a half in at once. Once the mixture is fluffy, beat in two eggs (one at a time) and add the vanilla.
  4. While beating on low speed, alternate mixing in the flour mixture and the toffee/nut mix. Add both bowls in a third at a time, i.e., beat in a third of the flour, mix, then beat in the toffee, mix, back to the flour, etc.
  5. Chill the dough for 30 minutes to an hour. This is important. Be patient, you’ll be eating ambrosia soon enough.
  6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spoon out 1-inch diameter balls and set them on cookie sheets with 3-inch gaps. These cookies have a tendency to spread a bit, producing a relatively thin cookie.
  7. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges brown. In my experience, the cookies can finish baking in even less time than that, so by the time you finish setting up the next batch, the ones in the oven should just about be finished. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

I wish this was a family recipe because that'd mean I'd have more opportunities to eat them, but it was adapted from a cooking blog:
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/005213heath_bar_cookies.php

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.