A web comic created by Lee Adam Herold. Follow the adventures of Butch, hockey mask-clad serial killer with a heart. Most likely several hearts, in neatly labelled little jars.

The most important trait is the wonderful black humor: most of the comics deal with death, dismemberment, and other violent bad things in a damn funny manner. They're not intended for the squeamish, obviously.

Chopping Block is a single panel comic, usually with a caption. It is also interesting in that the only recurring character is Butch. Most of the other people are victims, generally short-lived ones. This reflects Herold's focus on situational humor and a quick, simple punchline over character development or extended plot.

While he has experimented with plot lines at times, and Butch's character is developed somewhat, the majority of the comics are stand alone well. This makes it an easy comic to jump into, unlike generally plot- and character-heavy works, and if you want your plot, there are plenty of other places to get it.
A brilliant aspect of Lee Adam Herold's artistic vision in Chopping Block is his lack of seriousness and his use of juxtaposition; he isn't glorifying his focal character's random excessive slaughter, he looks beyond that to see how he (Butch) views the 'normal' aspects of the world with respects to his own insane vision.

On a clear, moonlit night, Butch watches two young lovers making out in a car; he is vexed to learn that his meathook is in his other pants pocket. Butch fawns over the faint glimmer of hope in the eyes of a window cleaner as he falls to his death, in the way that a saner person may remember a similar form of eye contact in a less gory situation. Butch pauses while dismembering a gardener in a wood chipper, distracted by a pretty butterfly.

It is these shifts in the perception of reality that makes Chopping Block stand out from the vast array of 'dark' literature.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.