I know of at least three Chris Carters. The best-known one is the creator of The X-Files and Millennium. Another Chris Carter is the lead singer of Dramarama. The third one was a member of Throbbing Gristle and Chris and Cosey.

It's probably not an uncommon name; I imagine there are others.

Chris Carter

Chris Carter is an accomplished director best known for his famous Television series, The X Files, which ended its long 9 year run in 2002.


Quick Bio:

Chris Carter was born on October 13, 19561 in Bellflower, California to William and Catherine Carter. His father worked in the construction trade and his mother, Catherine, was a homemaker whose family owned a business called Mulder's Feed Store2. Chris enjoyed sports and the outdoors. His favorite activities include surfing, squash, and baseball. In college, he chose to major in journalism and graduted from California State University in 1979.

Shortly after graduationg, he acceped a job as Editorial Assistant at "Surfing Magazine3"; an ideal job for a jouralist with a sense of adventure. He wrote a number of articles for them about places that he'd surfed around the world. He held the position until 1985, when he became a Senior Editor -- a job that did not require him to stay in the office. He resigned his Senior Editorship in 1992.

A big break in his career came in 1985, when Jeffrey Katzenberg, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios, read one of his screenplays and signed him to a development contract with Walt Disney Pictures. While working with Katzenberg, Carter wrote and produced several TV movies including pilots of Cameo By Night and The Nanny. In 1987, he married screenwriter Dori Pierson.
He took a short leave of absence from Disney to co-produce the second season of the comedy series "Rags to Riches," but returned in 1989 as creator and executive producer of a comedy series called "Brand New Life" for Disney's Sunday night lineup.

In 1992 Carter began developing projects for Twentieth Century Fox Television, creating "X Files": A thriller series about the FBI and a whole slew of supernatural events, starring David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson4. In 1994, Carter formed his very own 10-13 Productions company which developed The Lone Gunmen (2001), Harsh Realm (1999), and Millenium (1996), as well further episodes of the X-Files and an X-Files Movie: Fight the Future.

In 2001, Chris Carter created the Carter Foundation, which raises funds for scholarships that go to top students in the field of Science.

Currently, the Carter Foundation is revising its selection process and criteria, and plans to next make scholarship grants beginning in school year 2003-2004.

You can send donations to the foundation at this address:
The CARTER FOUNDATION
c/o California Community Foundation
445 S. Figueroa St.
Suite 3400
Los Angeles, CA 90071-1638
U.S.A.

Chris Carter currently lives in Los Angeles, California.
His stated address is:
10201 W Pico Blvd
Building 41, Suite 100
Los Angeles, Ca. 90035
U.S.A.


Awards and Recognition

The X-Files has received two Golden Globes for Best Drama in 1995 and 1997.
It was also Emmy-nominated three times for Best Drama, and winner of a Peabody Award for Excellence in Broadcasting.

Carter himself has received three Golden Globe Awards (1994, 1996, 1997), a Writers Guild nomination, two Directors Guild nominations, and an Emmy Award nomination.


Write to Chris Carter

Chris Carter
c/o Lions Gate Studios
555 Brooksbank Avenue
North Vancouver, BC V7J 3S5
CANADA

1 Hence the name: 10-13 Productions
2 Fox Mulder was a main character for most of the X-Files series.
3 It now has its own website at http://www.surfingthemag.com
4 He is the Godfather of Gillian Anderson's daughter.
- deceased.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.