English soccer player and manager, born on 14th December 1960 in Hepworth, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. 63 caps and 6 goals for England.

Chris Waddle was one of the greatest players of his generation, the star player in every team he played for from his early years with Newcastle United through to the end of his career.

A nimble, tricky winger, Waddle came to prominence in the Newcastle side of the mid-Eighties. His transfer to Spurs in 1987 made him the most costly plyer in British transfer history, and after a couple of successful seasons at White Hart Lane, he moved for another record fee to French giants Olympique Marseille.

In his four seasons at OM, Chris was THE star of the French league. His partnership with Jean-Pierre Papin reaped goals and plaudits from the sports media, and culminated in his dazzling performance for England in the 1990 World Cup Finals.

In the summer of 1992, Sheffield Wednesday boss Trevor Francis pulled off a major coup by signing Waddle for less than a million pounds, and Waddle repaid him many times over, his first season back in English football seeing him win the Footballer Of The Year award, en route to conjuring up four Wembley appearances for the Owls.

Injuries ravaged his later years at Wednesday, and although the flashes of brilliance were still there, he was no longer the player of his golden years, and David Pleat gave him a free transfer from Wednesday in 1996.

After spells with St.Mirren, Bradford City and as player/manager of Burnley, Chris returned as a coach at Hillsborough and plays for Worksop Town in the Unibond Premier League.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.