This kid has a promising future in the NHL.

Backman, in the 2003-2004 season, got to play in the big league in lieu of injuries to teammates Al MacInnis and Barret Jackman, the latter being another young break-out on the team. In 2005-2006, with MacInnis retired and another former great Blues defenseman Chris Pronger gone to Edmonton, Backman became a permanent fixture on St. Louis' blueline. He is a defenseman who likes to score. Indeed, through the 2006-2007 season he has scored 18 goals and 23 assists in 183 games played. He loves to play the blue line and is adept at helping out the offense by creating chances and holding the puck in the zone. Also, whenever he sees a hole in the opponent's defense, he'll go deep and go for it, even if he has to appear to be a forward for a few minutes.

His first NHL game, as I recall, was the last game of the 2001-2002 season with the Blues where they happily trounced the Red Wings 5-3 in Detroit. Officially, though, for some reason, his first NHL game is considered to be February 11, 2003. He played four games with the big boys in the 2002-2003 season, recording no points. The rest of that season he spent playing for the AHL's Worcester Ice Cats where he registered 8 goals and 19 assists. Before that he played for four seasons with Vastra Frolunda HC in the Swedish Hockey League where he notched 9 goals and 18 assists. He also appeared in seven games at the World Junior Championship for Sweden where he posted an impressive plus-8 rating and banged in one goal and earned one assist.

Christian Backman was drafted by St. Louis, their first round selection, 24th overall, on June 27, 1998. He shoots left and stands at 6' 3". He was born on April 28, 1980 in Alingsas, Sweden. He currently wears jersey number 55.

Backman and his youth were to be an intregal part of the St. Louis Blues' rebuilding, as 2005-2006 was one of their worst seasons on record. However, midway through the 2007-2008 season, with the Blues with a precarious shot at making the playoffs again for the first time since 2004, his perceived inconsistency has him the subject of trade rumours.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.