"A Card Game For All Time"
-Motto on the box

Chronology was published in 1996 by the Great American Puzzle Factory. It's a great game for history buffs, and it's really simple to play.

In the box, there's 480 cards, each with an event and a date one one side, with the Chronology logo on the back. At the start of the game, some of the cards are shuffled (you probably won't use all 480.) Then each person takes a card from the top of the shuffled stack and places it in front of them, face up. This card is the first card in each player's timeline, the goal of the game to have a timeline of 10 cards.

Pick a person to go first. That person draws a card off the top and holds it close so no one can see. This person reads the contents of the card (i.e. "The iron lung was developed in this year, the first mechanical breathing device for humans."). The player on the left goes first, and states whether the date in question is before or after his/her first card. If s/he is correct, then that card is added to that player's timeline. If s/he fails, it goes on to the next left, and so forth in an anti-clockwise fashion.

The game gets progressively harder: When you have multiple cards in the timeline, you must guess between which two a certain date falls. Imagine a timeline where your earliest date is 1415 and your latest is 1463, and there's nine cards in it.

I had great fun with this game, and plan to go back and play it. Too bad all my friends are history buffs...

Chro*nol"o*gy (?), n.; pl. Chronologies (#). [Gr. ; time + discourse: cf. F. chronologie.]

The science which treats of measuring time by regular divisions or periods, and which assigns to events or transactions their proper dates.

If history without chronology is dark and confused, chronology without history is dry and insipid. A. Holmes.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.