The Clementine spacecraft used a lunar transfer booster called the ISAS (InterStage Adapter Satellite) to get it from the Earth to the Moon.

The ISAS consisted of a Thiokol Star 37FM solid rocket booster and some interstage adapter hardware. The adapter was cylindrical in shape and contained a small 5 kg instrument package mounted on an inside wall. A simple transceiver permitted communications with Earth, and solar panels wrapped around the adapter provided power. The adapter had no attitude control, but was spin stabilized during the booster burn.

The instrument package on ISAS contained a radiation monitor, a dosimeter, and an instrument to determine damage to both radiation hardened and soft CMOS (complementary metal oxide semiconductor) devices. The devices that were studied included a LCCD (linear charged coupled device), a EEPROM (electrically erasable programmable read-only memory), FGPA (field gate programmable array), and an SRAM (static random access memory). Impact detectors provided information on meteorite and debris interactions with the spacecraft in a near Earth environment.

After boosting Clementine away from Earth, ISAS was left in an elliptical Earth orbit of about 300 km by 127,000 km with an inclination of 67 degrees. This orbit saw ISAS pass through the Van Allen radiation belts, debris fields, interplanetary radiation, and micrometeorite environments.

The Clementine interstage adapter satellite bears the NSSDC (National Space Science Data Center) ID 1994-004C. The information presented here was obtained from http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.