"Cochise"
Written and Performed by Audioslave
Taken from the album Audioslave released on November 19th, 2002
Running Length of: 3:42


Well, I've been watching
While you've been coughing
I've been drinking
While you've been nauseous
So I'll drink to health
While you kill yourself
And I've got just one thing that I can offer

(Chorus)
Go on, save yourself
Take it out on me
Go on, save yourself
Take it out on me, yeah

I'm not a martyr
I'm not a prophet
And I won't preach to you
But here's a caution
You better understand
That I won't hold you hand
But if it helps you mend then I won't stop it

(Chorus x2)

Oh, If you want
I'll see you in the bottom
When you crawl
on my skin
And put the blame on me
So you don't feel a thing

(Chorus x2)


Its pronounced Co-cheese, by the way.

Okay, it took me a while to decipher Chris Cornell's lyrics while listening to the song, and this is the best I can come up with. So they might sound a bit off or may be wrong altogether when you listen to the song. If you have spotted any glaring errors in the lyrics that you come across, please /msg me and I'll change it if I deem it worthy.

This song will appeal to you if you liked the musical side of the now defunct punk band Rage against the Machine or the vocal styles of ex-Soundgarden vocalist Chris Cornell (mainly because the band is made up of ex-Rage memebers and Chris Cornell). This band is a god send to anyone who loved Tom Morello's guitar work in Rage against the Machine, but hated them because Zach de la Rocha used to rap instead of sing. It reminds some people of Aerosmith's more heavier moments. Fans of Soundgarden should be able to find something they like.

Really, the meaning of the song is quite obvious, so I won't go into any detail on that subject. But you might want to know how the title came to be:

"Cochise was the last great American Indian chief to die free and absolutely unconquered. When several members of his family were captured, tortured, and hung by the U.S. Cavalry, Cochise declared war on the entire Southwest and went on an unholy rampage, a warpath to end all warpaths. He and his warriors drove out thousands of settlers. Cochise the Avenger, fearless and resolute, attacked everything in his path with an unbridled fury. This song kinda sounds like that."

-- Tom Morello

The song can be found on Audioslave's self-titled debut, released in 2002, as the first track.

http://www.audioslave.com

"Nobody wants peace more than I do. Why shut me up on a reservation? We will make peace; we will keep it faithfully. But let us go around free as Americans do. Let us go wherever we please."

Legendary Apache chief (1812-1874). His name meant "Hardwood." He was six feet tall, which was tall for both Apaches and whites back in the 1800s. He was said to be a very imposing man, and unmatched in the use of the lance. He was also said to be a very honorable man, and he hated people who lied to him.

Cochise was a woodcutter at the stagecoach station at Apache Pass, Arizona on the Butterfield Overland line until 1861, when a group of Coyotero Apaches raided a ranch southwest of Fort Buchanan, taking 20 head of cattle and a 12-year-old boy named Mickey Free. The head of the ranch reported the raid to the fort, but he blamed the raid on the Chiracahua and Chokonen Apaches, instead of the Coyoteros.

Cochise's band of Chokonens fell under suspicion after a short investigation by George N. Bascom, an inexperienced second lieutenant. A group of 50 soldiers under Bascom's command were sent from the fort to recover the child and the ranch's property.

The Chokonens, who weren't even aware of the raid on the ranch, had set up a winter camp at the north side of the Chiracahua Mountains, close to Apache Springs. The Chokonens were raiders, but they confined most of their attacks to Mexico, so they rarely had any quarrel with the United States. Once Bascom's troops located Cochise's camp, Bascom told the folks at the Butterfield way station that the soldiers were on the way to the Rio Grande and that they wanted to set up a parley, or social gathering, with Cochise. The next evening, the chief arrived with his wife, two of their children, and only three warriors, all close relatives.

After Cochise and his warriors entered Bascom's tent, the soldiers surrounded the tent and Bascom, through an interpreter, began to interrogate the chief. He was already convinced that Cochise had been behind the raid, and when Cochise said he wasn't, Bascom called him a liar. Ewww. Not a nice thing to call someone who hates liars, especially after you've lied about wanting to parley. Still, Cochise offered to go to the Coyotero Apaches and try to secure the release of Mickey Free. However, Bascom was under the mistaken impression that Cochise was the chief of all the Apaches, not just the Chokonens, so he decided to hold Cochise, his family, and his warriors hostage until the cattle and child were returned.

Even surrounded by soldiers, Cochise was able to escape. He sliced through the tent with a knife and burst out, surprising the soldiers. He was followed by Coyuntura, one of his warriors. The startled troops were able to capture Coyuntura, but Cochise got away with minor gunshot wounds.

From there, of course, things went downhill. Bascom and his forces retreated to the stagecoach station, where the defenses were better. Bascom and Cochise met the next morning in a neutral location, with Bascom demanding the release of the child and Cochise demanding the release of his family. There was more gunfire exchanged between the soldiers and the Apaches, and a stagecoach driver was later taken prisoner. Bascom sent for reinforcements.

The day after the stagecoach driver was captured, Cochise brought him to the crest of a hill and offered to exchange him for Cochise's family, but Bascom refused. The day after that, Cochise captured a wagon train, stole the animals, burned the wagons, killed nine Mexicans, and captured three Americans. He had the stagecoach driver write a note to Bascom, again offering to exchange his captives for his family. After sending his band's women and children out of harm's way and receiving reinforcements from other Chiricahua bands (including Geronimo!), Cochise tried to capture a stagecoach.

The next day (February 8th), Cochise attacked some soldiers who had been sent to Apache Springs to water the horses. Casualties were inflicted on both sides, and the soldiers' animals were driven off. He decided not to attack the stagecoach station, which was too well defended. Giving up on negotiations and on getting his family back, he tortured and killed his four American prisoners and left their bodies out for the soldiers to find. He then disbanded his forces.

The soldiers' reinforcements arrived on Valentine's Day, bringing three Coyoteros that they had captured along the way. Troops were sent out to search for the Apaches on Feb. 16, but found no one. On Feb. 18, the soldiers found the bodies of the dead Americans and buried them at a cluster of oak trees. Realizing that the Apaches had moved deeper into the mountains, Bascom assigned a detachment to guard the way station, then sent his soldiers back to their home forts. He released Cochise's wife and children, but had the other Apache captives hanged from the oak trees where the Americans were buried.

And then, after getting Cochise and the Apaches good and riled up, the military in Arizona was redeployed to fight in the Civil War, leaving civilians almost defenseless. Cochise's warriors stampeded livestock and attacked wagon trains and settlers over a wide area. During one 60-day period, Apaches killed 150 whites in Arizona. One history of the Arizona territory said that the population dropped from 34,000 to less than 10,000 from 1860 to 1870, though it isn't known how much of that was from the Apache wars and how much was from people moving away from the Apache wars.

Peace slowly began to be re-established in Arizona in the early 1870s, and Cochise died on June 8, 1874. He was buried with his horse, dog, and weapons in a secret location somewhere in the Dragoon Mountains. There are no known photographs of Cochise.

Mickey Free, by the way, grew to adulthood among the Coyoteros. As a fluent speaker of English, Spanish, and Apache, he was a scout for the army. He died in 1915 on an Apache reservation in southeastern Arizona. Meanwhile, Bascom, who had been transferred to Fort Craig in New Mexico, died at the Battle of Valverde in 1862.

Research:
http://www.desertusa.com/ind1/Cochise.html
http://www.indians.org/welker/cochise.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.