Understanding Cognitive Science is good but not enough to effect true change in your life.

A common misconception with intelligent people is that their cognitive skills are enough to get them around any problem. This is patently not true and scores of depressive symptoms accompany such a shallow existential outlook.

It's common for Internet users to present with primary cognitive styles that afford little consideration for other aspects of their lives, such as; feeling (or affect), biology and behavior. These other three aspects of being are interrelated, and indeed, interdependent on thinking (or cognition).

This brings us to the Cognitive Model. The Cognitive Model is a device developed by cognitive psychologists upon which theories of cognition could be attached in the early 70s. The most famous of the Cognitive Models is Beck's Cognitive Model of Depression a theory of depressive disorder which seeks to leverage the Cognitive Model with theories of depression such that effective treatment modalities can be developed and used to treat suffering patients. It is also used to formulate further theories of specific typology in the development of theoretical background.

Beck's Cognitive Model of Depression shares features with the Cognitive Model, especially in relation to treatment, which enlists Cognitive Therapy to help a patient understand the links between cognition, affect, biology and behavior.

The main thrust of the treatment models that are developed with these theories are that patients are generally lacking in understanding of the aformentioned links between these different aspects of their lives and that by emphasizing and developing the links between these different aspects of life, they can gain a greater coherency and cohesion of health which will eneable them to cope better with stressors and lead happier lives.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.