North American colonization was a unique era in history. In a short amount of time, a great number of people found themselves in this “new” land; and a country was formed. These population shifts were driven by religious opportunity, overpopulation and vocational interest, as well as forced labor and involuntary removal.

The land of Europe was often thought of as being one of persecution; most specifically to outstanding, minority groups, and especially those with markedly unique religious values. Many New England colonists - Pilgrims, Puritans, et al – were thus motivated by persecution in their mother country.

Additionally, a saturation of the economy of Europe, including a lack of jobs and land and resulting in a lower quality of life, frustrated many in the lower-class. Likewise, they would migrate to find either a.) land of their own and a higher place in the world, or b.) a simple job and a manner of income.

The final, and most atrocious, form of movement was that of African slaves. Economic need for reinforcement, and southern agriculture, required cheap, dependable, and long-term labor. To them, this was the ideal solution, and thousands of Africans were ripped from their lives to work on plantations in Virginia, the Carolinas, and Georgia.

However dejected these immigrants may have been upon arrival in America (for almost all of them met with some initial disappointment), the result was the founding of a great nation, composed of a variety of individuals that would, eventually (okay, 200 years later), be considered equally free.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.