colour contrast is another part of the colour theory as used in the interior design area (probably other fields too, but I got to know them via that course. yep, noding my homework).
As a brief reference, the socalled colour wheel:

         yellow
     YO         YG
  orange          green
OR                   BG
  red              blue
     RP         BP
         purple

These are the 8 colour contrasts:
- Achromatic; using the colours black, greys and white. Ok, white contains all colours, but meant is, that you don't see what is generally called a colour.
- Hue; means the pure colours like combining red and blue.
- Light and dark; e.g. a light yellow combined with a dark purple, the divider is chroma (see also the Munsell system).
- Temperature; there are "warm" and "cold" colours, which has to do with the psychology of colours, aka what and how you feel in a red room will be different from the feeling in a blue-dominated room. Imagine a vertical line from yellow to purple: the colours on the left are considered warm, and the right cold.
- Complemetary; two colours diametrically opposite in the colour wheel.
- Simultaneous; the effects of combining greys with a colour.
- Saturation; the contrast of a pure colour with its diluted form (diluted with white, grey and/or black).
- Extension; this is the most vague term and deals with the "visual balance". (use your imagination, that was sort of the summary of my teacher.)


Back to colour theory

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.