A character in the Marvel Universe, particularly the X-Men aspect of it who had the arcane power of turning his skin into organic steel. One of the members of the second incarnation of the X-Men, he was featured heavily in the comic book aspect of the X-Men, however, in the TV show format, little was mentioned, sans one episode where he helped the 'real' X-Men defeat Omega Red. Has not been mentioned in the X-Men Universe since the last comic appearance.

Piotr Rasputin was born in a little farm in Siberia, but when his mutant power manifested, Colossus suffered the regular prejudice. When the Original X-Men were kidnapped, Xavier invited him to join his new team and he accepted. He became a member of the New X-Men, becoming a great hero. Even with the soul of an artist, Piotr managed to help the team many times. He had a little romance with Kitty Pryde when she used to be called Sprite and later Ariel. When the X-Men gave their lives to beat the Adversary, Roma saved them, transporting the team to the Reaver's base in Australia. Colossus remained there, until the team crossed the Siege Perilous. He was reborn as Peter Nicholas, a SoHo painter. He remained with no memory of his hero past until the Shadow King possessed him. Professor X was able to take Peter out of his control, by reverting his mind to his Colossus persona. After the adventure in Muir Island against the Shadow King, Colossus became a member of the X-Men Gold Strike Team, until great traumas began to happen in his life: first, his brother Mikhail returned from the dimension that he was locked, just to transport the Morlocks to another dimension. After, his sister Illyana, former Magik, died from the Legacy Virus. When with battle against Magneto, Colossus left the X-Men, joined the Acolytes, and stayed with them until Avalon was destroyed by Holocaust. When that happen, he returned to Earth and joined his friends Shadowcat and Nightcrawler at Excalibur. His stay with Excalibur generated sparks with Kitty's then boyfriend, Pete Wisdom. After some time, Piotr began to have feelings for Meggan, but she and Brian Braddock were wed nonetheless. After this, Excalibur disbanded and Colossus, with Kurt and Kitty, return to America. After a fight with Cerebro and his agents, Colossus returned to the X-Men and is currently an active member again.

One of the record-setting roller coasters at Magic Mountain. Built in 1978, it was responsible for turning Magic Mountain from a sleepy local amusement park into a serious tourist attraction. At the time it was built, it was the tallest, longest wooden roller coaster in the world. Its record has since been broken, but it is still considered one of the finest examples of roller coaster design in the world.

It is 125 feet tall, reaches speeds of 62 miles per hour and a maximum G force rating of 3.23, and the ride lasts for almost 2 and a half minutes.

Colossus was one of the earliest computers ever built, and was constructed by the codebreakers at Bletchley Park in the UK during the second world war. Its purpose was to assist in the effort to break the Axis "fish" communication code, a feat which was eventually accomplished, and which probably shortened the war by a considerable length of time. Its 1800 vacuum tubes were assembled in less than a year, and though it was not as flexible as later programmable computers, its ability to process a variety of cryptographic routines made it one of the first functional digital electronic computers. One of the principal scientists involved in its contruction was the great mathematician and computer scientist, Alan Turing.

A long time ago you had a puerile, human shape
which I'm sure you possess still,
yet from this village your suffocating shadow
has transformed from twig to colossus

It is not as if I pay close attention;
it is always winter here
and I just labor dredging slime
out of your enormous, eroding house
yet find myself sinking
into this mania I construct backhandedly
(while on my healthy, happy days
my left hand needs a hobby or two)

I no longer have your severed limbs
mounted as a fragrant altar, rotting
instead I just own pieces of this puzzle to put together,
which look less and less like pieces
and more like portions of dirt
that melt everytime I touch them

these pieces of filth, of you, no longer correspond
but I use them, sometimes
when your ghost is too loud to silence it,
when I see into its eyes, medusa-like
and fall vertiginously back into this assembly,
into the nigh-orgasmic tradition of inviting your hyperuranic dopplegänger
back into this dwelling

I haven't had you for the last million years
and tomorrow I must awake and pretend like I'm not poisoning myself
like these years between you and I are nothing but a prelude
like I'll see your inequivocal gaze turning a street
and I the other

like these hours aren't married to your corpse
waiting for it to come and take me
to your blasphemous cradle

Co*los"sus (?), n.; pl. L. Colossi (#), E. Colossuses (#). [L., fr. Gr. .]

1.

A statue of gigantic size. The name was especially applied to certain famous statues in antiquity, as the Colossus of Nero in Rome, the Colossus of Apollo at Rhodes.

He doth bestride the narrow world Like a colossus. Shak.

⇒ There is no authority for the statement that the legs of the Colossus at Rhodes extended over the mouth of the harbor.

Dr. Wm. Smith.

2.

Any man or beast of gigantic size.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.