Formed in 1991, this band from Massachusetts carved a niche for themselves as a first-class tiki lounge/cabaret ensemble. Their demo tape quickly caught the attention of Sub Pop in Seattle, and their first major-release album, "I, Swinger" (1994), was very well-received. The exotic soundscapes of Martin Denny are an obvious influence on the group's sound, which includes vibes, organ, strings, jungle animal sounds, and a twangy surf-guitar played by a mysterious man known only as The Millionaire.

Along with their serious commitment to capturing the magic of lounge was a manifesto that gave birth to an early 1990s movement known as Cocktail Nation. If your favorite dive bar was suddenly invaded by chocotini-swilling hipsters a few years back, you can thank Combustible Edison among others for making it the "in" thing to do.

The band never recaptured the glory of "I, Swinger", but did record quite a few good, albeit short, songs for the soundtrack of the failed motion picture, "Four Rooms".

Members:
Miss Lily Banquette (chanteuse, bongoiste)
Nick Cudahy (the double bass)
Mr. Peter Dixon (hi-fi organ)
The Millionaire (the electrified guitar)
Aaron Oppenheimer (trap drums and vibraharp)

It's only appropriate that Combustible Edison invented their own signature cocktail, which is as follows:

Combustible Edison
2 ounces brandy
1 ounce Campari
1 ounce fresh lemon juice

In a shaker full of cracked ice, combine Campari and lemon juice. Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Heat brandy in a chafing dish. When warm, ignite the brandy and pour in a flaming stream into the cocktail glass.

If the brandy is chilled and shaken rather than ignited, the drink is known as the Edisonian.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.