Released as a single on 8 February, 2000. The single contains the following:

  1. concertina (the single mix) (3:58)
  2. famous blue raincoat (live non lp version) (5:24)
  3. twinkle (live non lp version) (2:49)
  4. music video for "Glory of the 80s"

The single mix of "Concertina" sounds for the most part just like the version found on To Venus and Back, though some background (for lack of a better word) sound is different and there's more echoing. It's a bit more ethereal than its sibling on the album. "Famous Blue Raincoat" is a Leonard Cohen cover. The original version can be found on Cohen's Songs of Love and Hate. The studio version of "Twinkle" can be found on Tori's Boys For Pele album. At the end of the live version of "Twinkle" the listener can hear the beginning of "Purple People" as the track fades out.

Viewing the music video requires a PC or Mac with Internet access. When inserted into a computer's CD-ROM drive, a setup programme will pop up to install Hyperlock (Netscape 4.08 can also be found on the disc). After installing Hyperlock, one can access the music video by going to a specific webpage on Atlantic Records website, which will play the video from a hidden directory on the disc called Content (the video file is called tamoschcd001.mpg). Attempts to simply go into something like Windows Explorer and play the file manually fail. There's probably a way around this with a bit of computer trickery but I know it not. The music video for "Glory of the 80s" features Tori in a lengthy, elaborate black dress-type thing with a lot of make-up on as she sings, flies, and transforms into various animals throughout the song.

The packaging for this release is mostly plain. It's primarily orange with some white text and some yellowish text with the exception of the cover, which features a close up of Tori's face. Some fans have speculated that the reason her face looks slightly chubby is because the photograph was taken after she became pregnant. This isn't known for sure though as news of her pregnancy wasn't "officially" released until sometime in her third trimester.

The credits for this album include the phrase "Not assisted by Rob van Tuin." This may be meant to emphasise that though Rob van Tuin assisted with the recording and mixing of the song on To Venus and Back, he didn't assist with either for the single version. It might also be meant to be funny (well it made me laugh). It might be both. It might be neither. "Concertina (the single mix)," "Twinkle," and "Glory of the 80s" were all written and produced by Tori. The Atlantic Records catalogue number for this release is 84651.

Sir Charles Wheatstone invented the concertina in 1829 as a curiosity. Soon afterwards, in the mid 1830s, it gained reputation and was marketed as a serious musical instrument. The original concertina was the English concertina. It was used mostly in classical music. A short while after this, the Anglo concertina was invented, and it became more popular in folk music circles. Today, both are used in various styles.

Con`cer*ti"na (?), n. [From It. concerto a concert.]

A small musical imstrument on the principle of the accordion. It is a small elastic box, or bellows, having free reeds on the inside, and keys and handles on the outside of each of the two hexagonal heads.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.