A query in circumstances where the software believes you were mistaken in what you told it to do.

Windows 95 incessantly asked if you wanted to delete a file which was either useful or irritating depending on how 1337 you were. Many people tend not to like OSs that think you don't know what you're doing; ones that protect you from yourself.

Same with governments, really.

Con*firm" (?), v. t. [imp. & p.p. Confrmed (?); p.pr. & vb.n. Confirming.] [OE. confermen, confirmen, OF. confermer, F. confirmer, fr. L. confirmare; con- + firmare to make firm, fr. firmus firm. See Firm.]

1.

To make firm or firmer; to add strength to; to establish; as, health is confirmed by exercise.

Confirm the crown to me and to mine heirs. Shak.

Annd confirmed the same unto Jacob for a law. Ps. cv. 10.

2.

To strengthen in judgment or purpose.

Confirmed, then, I resolve Adam shall share with me in bliss or woe. Milton.

3.

To give new assurance of the truth of; to render certain; to verify; to corroborate; as, to confirm a rumor.

Your eyes shall witness and confirm my tale. Pope.

These likelihoods confirm her flight. Shak.

4.

To render valid by formal assent; to complete by a necessary sanction; to ratify; as, to confirm the appoinment of an official; the Senate confirms a treaty.

That treaty so prejudicial ought to have been remitted rather than confimed. Swift.

5. Eccl.

To administer the rite of confirmation to. See Confirmation, 3.

Those which are thus confirmed are thereby supposed to be fit for admission to the sacrament. Hammond.

Syn. -- To strengthen; corroborate; substantiate; establish; fix; ratify; settle; verify; assure.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.