Film Term:

Progressive versions of a film in the editing stage are known as conformations, often identified by date. Conformations are only of any significance on a large production where different editing departments should be sure to be working with the latest conformation.

Glossary of Film Terms - http://homepage.newschool.edu/~schlemoj/film_courses/glossary_of_film_terms/
reprinted with permission

The conformation of a molecule refers to the relative positions of individual atoms of the molecule. Steric and electronic factors will determine what conformation is the most stable for a molecule.

The simplest molecule for study of conformation is n-butane. One can picture this molecule turning between the two following forms (only the carbon skeleton is shown; all carbon atoms in same plane):

C     C
 \   /
  C-C     "eclipsed"

C
 \
  C-C     "staggered"
     \
      C
In the eclipsed form, the hydrogen atoms from the terminal carbon atoms are "bumping" each other. This bumping does not exist in the staggered conformation. On this basis alone, we can determine that the staggered conformation of n-butane would be more stable. This would be correct. The energy difference between these conformations for this molecule is small, as the steric interaction between the terminal carbons is minimal, but the staggered conformation is more stable, and the molecule would be expected to spend more time in this form.

For more complicated molecules, studies of conformation take on monumental proportion. The folding of proteins largely determines their ability to perform as designed. Conformational changes of proteins can cause disease, as in the case of prions.

Con`for*ma"tion (?), n. [ L. conformatio: cf. F. conformation.]

1.

The act of conforming; the act of producing conformity.

The conformation of our hearts and lives to the duties of true religion and morality.
I. Watts.

2.

The state of being conformed; agreement; hence; structure, as depending on the arrangement of parts; form; arrangement.

In Hebrew poetry, there may be observed a certain conformation of the sentences.
Lowth.

A structure and conformation of the earth.
Woodward.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.