It is a ceremony used in Reform Judaism. Congregations mark the beginning of formal Jewish education, usually with K or 1st grade. It is a group ceremony often celebrated on Simchat Torah, and usually the young participants are given a small replica of a torah (can you read 4-point type?) to symbolize the start of their study of torah. Consecration is not based on traditional rituals, and is not observed in Orthodox congregations. Some Conservative congregations do observe the ceremony. They either call it "consecration", or opt for the more Jewish-sounding names (ie simchat torah).

In the Orthodox communities of England and Australia: The ceremony has nothing to do with children. The term 'Consecration' refers to the official unveiling of a tombstone. Roughly a year (although often as early as 3 months or as late as 2 years), a minyan is held at the gravesite while kaddish and a few psalms are recited.

Con`se*cra"tion (?), n. [L. consecratio: cf. F. cons'ecration.]

The act or ceremony of consecrating; the state of being consecrated; dedication.

Until the days of your consecration be at an end. Lev. viii. 33.

Consecration makes not a place sacred, but only solemny declares it so. South.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.