Con`sti*tu"tion*al (?), a. [f. F. constitutionnel.]

1.

Belonging to, or inherent in, the constitution, or in the structure of body or mind; as, a constitutional infirmity; constitutional ardor or dullness.

2.

In accordance with, or authorized by, the constitution of a state or a society; as, constitutional reforms.

3.

Regulated by, dependent on, or secured by, a constitution; as, constitutional government; constitutional rights.

Hallam.

4.

Relating to a constitution, or establishment form of government; as, a constitutional risis.

The anient constitutional traditions of the state. Macaulay.

5.

For the benefit or one's constitution or health; as, a constitutional walk.

[Colloq.]

Constitutional law, law that relates to the constitution, as a permanent system of political and juridical government, as distinguished from statutory and common law, which relate to matters subordinate to such constitution.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con`sti*tu"tion*al, n.

A walk or other exercise taken for one's health or constitution.

[Colloq.]

Thackeray.

The men trudged diurnal constitutionals along the different roads. Compton Reade.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.