Locally known as the Konvertibilna Marka, the postwar national currency of Bosnia-Hercegovina since 1998, abbreviated KM, and divided into 100 Convertible Pfennigs (Fenings) = KM1. The KM was tied 1 to 1 to the Deutschmark until the coming of the Euro. Since the 11 October 2001, the Central Bank of Bosnia declared the Convertible Mark to be tied to the Euro at a rate of €0.51129 = KM1, the same conversion that the Deutschmark held. In this strange fashion, the Deutschmark lives on in Bosnia.

The Convertible Mark comes in bill denominations of 100, 50, 20, 10, 5, and 1 KM, and one bill of 50 Pfennigs. The coins include 2 and 1 KM, and 50, 20, and 10 Pfennigs. Each bill comes in two different designs, one for the Serb Republic and one for the Muslim-Croat Federation. Pictures of the coins and bills are available at http://www.cbbh.gov.ba/en/bnc.html

Before its dissolution, the Deutschmark was was commonly accepted along with the Convertible Mark in most parts of Bosnia-Hercegovina, except in offical transactions such as at post offices. While I am only aware of the Euro being welcomed as legal tender in the north of the country in Banja Luka, I suspect it to be accepted across most parts of the country. In accord with the ethnically divided nature of nearly everything in Bosnia-Hercegovina, the Serbian Dinar is also commonly accepted in the Republika Srpska, while the Croatian Kuna is also valid in Croatian areas of the nation; thus bringing the total number of common currencies in Bosnia-Hercegovina to four.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.