Breakfast cereal invented in 1894 by Dr. John Harvey Kellogg and William Keith as part of a strict vegetarian diet. Corn Flakes started life as boiled wheat on a baking tin. A good long bake, and an attempt to roll it the next day, and they produced flakes. Keith bought the rights from his brother, made them more palatable by adding malt and founded the Battle Creek Toasted Corn Flake Company in 1906.

Some people believe that Corn Flakes were invented to suppress sexual desire but there are no anaphrodisiacs present.

Ingredients
Milled corn, sugar, malt flavoring, high fructose corn syrup, salt, reduced iron, niacinamide, sodium ascorbate and ascorbic acid (vitamin C), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamin hydrochloride (vitamin B1), vitamin A palmitate, folic acid, vitamin B12, and vitamin D. To maintain quality, BHT has been added to the packaging.

Allegedly, in 1907, the company offered a free box of cereal to every woman who winked at her grocer. I can only presume this was as risque in those days as flashing is now.

Sources

  • "Everybody's Business", Milton Moskowitz et al, Harper & Row, 1980.

  • www.kelloggs.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.