Cor"po*ral (k?r"p?-ral), n. [Corrupted fr. F. caporal, It. caporale, fr. capo head, chief, L. caput. See Chief, and cf. Caporal.] Mil.

A noncommissioned officer, next below a sergeant. In the United States army he is the lowest noncomissioned officer in a company of infantry. He places and relieves sentinels.

Corporal's guard, a detachment such as would be in charge of a corporal for guard duty, etc.; hence, derisively, a very small number of persons. -- Lance corporal, an assistant corporal on private's pay. Farrow. -- Ship's corporal Naut., a petty officer who assists the master at arms in his various duties.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cor"po*ral, a. [L. corporalis, fr. corpus body. See Corpse.]

1.

Belonging or relating to the body; bodily.

"Past corporal toil."

Shak.

Pillories and other corporal infections. Milton.

Corporal punishment Law, punishment applied to the body of the offender, including the death penalty, whipping, and imprisonment.

2.

Having a body or substance; not spiritual; material. In this sense now usually written corporeal.

Milton.

A corporal heaven . . . .where the stare are. Latimer.

What seemed corporal melted As breath into the wind. Shak.

Syn. -- Corporal, Bodily, Corporeal. Bodily is opposed to mental; as, bodily affections. Corporeal refers to the whole physical structure or nature, of the body; as, corporeal substance or frame. Corporal, as now used, refers more to punishment or some infliction; as, corporal punishment. To speak of corporeal punishment is an error. Bodily austerities; the corporeal mold.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cor"po*ral (k?r"p?-ral), Cor`po*ra"le (-r?"l?), n. [LL. corporale: cf.F. corporal. See Corporal,a.]

A fine linen cloth, on which the sacred elements are consecrated in the eucharist, or with which they are covered; a communion cloth.

Corporal oath, a solemn oath; -- so called from the fact that it was the ancient usage for the party taking it to touch the corporal, or cloth that covered the consecrated elements.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.