Computer Industry slang for a contractor. An IT contractor will work for anyone, provided they happen to be the highest bidder. Contractors don't get sick pay, they don't get paid holidays, they don't get medical benefits, life insurance or a company pension.

No company car, no complimentary membership of the local health club, they are not employees but rather self employed and can be fired at a moment's notice at any time.

The only benefit they get is their salary. And, just to add to the metaphor, most contractors get paid by the hour.

In the UK a corporate whore is a promising young individual who has sold out to Big Money.

Generally working in the Square Mile that is The City of London as opposed to the greater London itself, corporate whores tend to have been amongst the top in their class at everything, have generally gone to either Oxford or Cambridge university, or as some would put it Oxbridge.

They work in investment banking, management consultancy, or the legal profession and basically prostitute their minds to the interests of big business regardless of their often radical political or social ideals.

I am a corporate whore.

Or rather I am temporarily prostituting myself until I have the standing to be able to make a difference.

I wonder how many other corporate whores start out with this justification...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.