In linguistics, a large sample of language. A commonly use example is the Brown corpus. Linguists and their ilk use corpora for a variety of things, including statistical linguistics.

Comprehensive and specific collection of an individual's output;
as, the entire corpus of Matisse's work.
Latin corpus (body).

Cor"pus (-p?s), n.; pl. Corpora (-p-r). [L.]

A body, living or dead; the corporeal substance of a thing.

Corpus callosum (kl-l"sm); pl. Corpora callosa (-s) [NL., callous body] Anat., the great band of commissural fibers uniting the cerebral hemispheries. See Brain. -- Corpus Christi (krs"t) [L., body of Christ] R. C. Ch., a festival in honor of the eucharist, observed on the Thursday after Trinity Sunday. -- Corpus Christi cloth. Same as Pyx cloth, under Pyx. -- Corpus delicti (d-lk"t) [L., the body of the crime] Law, the substantial and fundamental fact of the comission of a crime; the proofs essential to establish a crime. -- Corpus luteum (l"t-m); pl. Corpora lutea (-). [NL., luteous body] Anat., the reddish yellow mass which fills a ruptured Grafian follicle in the mammalian ovary. -- Corpus striatum (str"tm); pl. Corpora striata (-t). [NL., striate body] Anat., a ridge in the wall of each lateral ventricle of the brain.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.