A device that connects a PDA to something less portable -- typically a desktop or laptop computer, but sometimes a server with lots of cradles attached over the network. The name comes from the fact that the PDA typically stands upright in it, cradled by a cupped surface while it synchronizes its data with the other computer.

Cradles generally use either serial (DB-9) or USB connections; in the latter case, the cradle may also serve as a battery charger. Cradles take other physical forms; some keyboards for PDAs are also cradles, and laptop users generally want something compact and foldable like a simple cable that plugs into the bottom of the PDA.

Name of book: Cradle
Authors: Arthur C. Clarke, Gentry Lee

A science fiction novel.

The majority of the novel takes place in Florida, in the United States around 1995, or maybe a few years in the future or past. It starts out with a reporter researching some beached whales off one of the Florida Keys. Eventually, it is learned that the true reason for her inquiry is in relation to a US Navy experimental missile that had "crashed" in the area.

This book focuses very much on the characters themselves, and they are very well developed. The story, however, is a bit weak once one learns the true reason for the crashing of the missile, but that is the only weak point to speak of. The rest is done quite nicely, and characteristic of Clarke's realistic sci-fi style.

Of course, there is much, much more to the book than a crashed missile. Aliens, superhumans, and the fate of the entire human race all have a part in the book. The sheer difference in the technological levels of the themes can make the story a bit awkward at times, but the problem lessens as the novel progresses, and it gets quite interesting once you find out why the book has its title.

This is one of four books that Arthur C. Clarke worked with Gentry Lee on, with the others being Rama II, The Garden Of Rama, and Rama Revealed.

Back to Arthur C. Clarke

Lacrosse players must learn a technique called cradling. Simply put to cradle is to use your arms and wrists to keep the ball in the pocket of the lacrosse stick. This helps the player run and maintain possession of the ball.

The Grip

Wrap your bottom hand, thumb included, loosely around the bottom of the stick. This is your control hand. The stick should then be lightly resting in the fingers of the top hand allowing the stick to be curled slightly toward the wrist.

The Wrist Action

First and foremost remember the wrist action should be smooth and controlled. The entire action should keep the ball relatively still in the pocket. If the ball bounces or jumps the wrist is being moved too quickly. The wrist should move around 150 degrees with 70 degrees being wrist extension and 80 degrees wrist flexion.

The Stick Action

When moving up field without defensive pressure the stick should be kept more horizontal. As defensive pressure increases the position of the stick should drift towards a more vertical position and become parallel to the body. Players should begin with two-arm cradling and work toward one-arm cradling as your ability and confidence increase.

Cra"dle (kr?d'l), n. [AS. cradel, cradol, prob. from Celtic; cf. Gael. creathall, Ir. craidhal, W. cryd a shaking or rocking, a cradle; perh. akin to E. crate.]

1.

A bed or cot for a baby, oscillating on rockers or swinginng on pivots; hence, the place of origin, or in which anything is nurtured or protected in the earlier period of existence; as, a cradle of crime; the cradle of liberty.

The cradle that received thee at thy birth. Cowper.

No sooner was I crept out of my cradle But I was made a king, at nine months old. Shak.

2.

Infancy, or very early life.

From their cradles bred together. Shak.

A form of worship in which they had been educated from their cradles.

Clarendon.

3. Agric.

An implement consisting of a broad scythe for cutting grain, with a set of long fingers parallel to the scythe, designed to receive the grain, and to lay it eventlyin a swath.

4. Engraving

A tool used in mezzotint engraving, which, by a rocking motion, raises burrs on the surface of the plate, so preparing the ground.

5.

A framework of timbers, or iron bars, moving upon ways or rollers, used to support, lift, or carry ships or other vessels, heavy guns, etc., as up an inclined plane, or across a strip of land, or in launching a ship.

6. Med. (a)

A case for a broken or dislocated limb.

(b)

A frame to keep the bedclothes from conntact with the person.

7. Mining (a)

A machine on rockers, used in washing out auriferous earth; -- also called a rocker.

[U.S.] (b)

A suspended scaffold used in shafts.

8. Carp.

The ribbing for vaulted ceilings and arches intended to be covered with plaster.

Knight.

9. Naut.

The basket or apparatus in which, when a line has been made fast to a wrecked ship from the shore, the people are brought off from the wreck.

Cat's cradle. See under Cat. -- Cradle hole, a sunken place in a road, caused by thawing, or by travel over a soft spot. -- Cradle scythe, a broad scythe used in a cradle for cutting grain.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cra"dle, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Cradled (-d'ld); p. pr. & vb. n. Cradling (-dl?ng).]

1.

To lay to rest, or rock, as in a cradle; to lull or quiet, as by rocking.

It cradles their fears to sleep. D. A. Clark.

2.

To nurse or train in infancy.

He that hath been cradled in majesty will not leave the throne to play with beggars. Glanvill.

3.

To cut and lay with a cradle, as grain.

4.

To transport a vessel by means of a cradle.

In Lombardy . . . boats are cradled and transported over the grade. Knight.

To cradle a picture, to put ribs across the back of a picture, to prevent the panels from warping.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cra"dle, v. i.

To lie or lodge, as in a cradle.

Withered roots and husks wherein the acorn cradled. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.