Creamed Dandelion Leaves, Chinese Style

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound dandelion leaves
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons chicken fat
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 3/4 cup chicken stock
  • 1 slice smoked ham 1/4 inch think, finely chopped
  • Pepper

Clean and wash the dandelion leaves carefully under cold running water. Cut cross-wise in 1 to 1 1/2-inch slices. Combine the cornstarch and milk in a small bowl and stir until the cornstarch is dissolved.

Put a 10-inch skillet over high heat for about a minute. Add chicken fat, making sure it is melted and covering the bottom of the pan. Turn the heat down to medium. Add the dandelion leaves and stir until they are covered with fat. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the dish and pour in the chicken stock.

Bring the stock to a boil and cover the pan. Turn the heat to simmer for 15 minutes or until the leaves are tender. With a slotted spoon transfer the dandelion leaves to a heated platter. Bring the stock to a boil and after stirring the cornstarch mixture quickly to mix it well again, add to the stock in the pan. Stir until the sauce thickens.

Pour the sauce over the dandelion leaves, sprinkle chopped ham over the dish and serve at once. Serves six.

Back to Dandelion
Back to The Edible Wild

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.