From: The Thorough Good Cook

Fish: 12. Crimped Salmon an Naturel

Have two quarts of water boiling in a stew-pan, with six ounces of salt, in which place two slices of crimped salmon; if more than two are wanted, a proportionate addition must be made to the water. Boil quickly for eighteen minutes; try the bone in the middle, and if it leaves easily, your fish is done; don't leave it soddening in the water after it is done, or it will lose its aroma; but if you are not quite ready to dish it up, cover it with a wet unstarched napkin and stand it in your hot-closet. Dish it up prettily garnished with fresh parsley; but if I were you, I would dish it up neither on a starched napkin nor on paper. I don't like starch in a dissolved or sticky form. The fish looks quite as well on a strainer. Yon can serve either lobster or shrimp sauce with it.

I have given one of the simplest recipes for dressing this splendid fish, because, as a rule, you will begin to eat salmon about the end of April, and your taste will then be innocent enough to enjoy it in its most unadorned form. But if you dine out, or give dinners frequently during the season, your palate will become more and more cloyed, until about the beginning of July you will get satiated with, and sick of, salmon altogether.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.