Back to the Dim Sum metanode

Goes well with plum sauce. Similar to Steamed Shrimp Balls, but this one is crunchy / crispy, and sometimes you can make them spicy as well.

Ingredients

  • 2/3 pound shrimp, peeled, scored down the back, deveined, rinsed, and patted dry
  • 1/2 cup water chestnuts, blanched in boiling water for 10 seconds, refreshed in cold water, drained, and dried
Shrimp Ball Seasonings
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons minced scallions
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or sake
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 pound thin rice stick noodles
  • Safflower or corn oil for deep-frying
Cooking
  1. Process the shrimp to a paste. Transfer to a large bowl: add the water chestnuts, seasonings, egg white, and cornstarch. Stir vigorously until a stiff paste forms. Chill thoroughly.
  2. With a towel draped over the hand that holds a sharp knife, cut the noodles into 1/2-inch lengths. The towel prevents the noodles from flying around. Spread evenly on a cookie sheet.
  3. Shape scant teaspoonfuls of the shrimp mixture into balls, then roll in the noodle pieces, pressing lightly to coat. Set on a cookie sheet.
  4. Heat a wok or a deep skillet or saucepan over high. Add the oil and heat to 375 degrees F. Deep-fry the shrimp balls in batches, turning them constantly, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with a handled strainer or a slotted spoon, drain briefly in a colander, then transfer to paper towels. Between batches, skim the oil with a fine strainer, and reheat until hot. Serve the shrimp balls warm with sauce and mustard. To reheat, warm on a cookie sheet in a 375 degree F. oven, about 10 minutes.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.