A monophonic analog synthesizer with a 37-note keyboard. Designed by Bob Moog himself, along with Jim Scott and Tom Rhea. Released in 1983.

The Spirit has 2 VCOs per voice. They can be synced and are switchable between sawtooth, square and triangle waveforms. A white/pink noise generator is also available.
The filter section features 3 VCFs: high-, low- and band-pass. Other filter features include switchable 12dB/24dB slope, an independent ADSR envelope, key-tracking and single/multiple triggering.
The synth also contains a ring modulator and an arpeggiator with 3 patterns linkable to the LFO. An audio input is included for modulating external sounds.

For user control, there's a big bunch of knobs and switches along with 3 performance wheels. These control the pitch, Mod-X and Shaper-Y effetcts. The arpeggiator has 3 modes: ripple (up/down), arpeggio (up several octaves) and leap (up 1 & then 4 octaves). Auto and preset Glide modes are included for elasticity/bending effects.

Crumar Spirit is often compared to the MiniMoog. While the sound isn't quite as thick due to one less VCO per voice, the flexibility of Spirit makes it an equally exciting synth.

The synth uses CEM 3340, CEM 3350 and CEM 3360 chips.


back to Crumar

Designed by bob moog, in his second period career (like kurzweil experience). This machine is cv monophonic with classic ADSR control and 2 oscillator. Oftern called the "cheap" minimoog, this is not really true since it's CEM based , and far from fat sound of true transistor analog.

The sound is not so deep, and it feels like a job not finished, round sound a bit like SH101 but the filter is not as powerful as the roland four pole.I made some comparisons with similar structure like Pro-one from sequential circuits, and I still prefer the american one- though my heart belongs to the best (only?) italian synth: the elka Synthex

I liked somehow the sound, but don't pay this much (500bucks) this is hard to find, but not really so powerful, for collector, but as we know CRUMAR is not so well-known.

Furthermore pay attention to his reliability this machine has full hard to find CEM inside and broke some of them quite OFTEN! be sure to  have supply of chips to some check ebay reseller.

Nice little cheap synth!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.