(Astronomy)

Crux, or the Southern Cross, is the most familiar constellation in the southern hemisphere. The small, but easily recognizable cross, was once part of Centaurus, but the sight of such a brilliant cross in the sky was so compelling that in the sixteenth century, european explorers made it an official constellation.

Also, speaking of a problem, the essential point of the problem that must be resolved. "The crux of the matter"

Of an argument, the main assertion or feature of the argument.

The most difficult move on a rock climbing route or a bouldering problem. The crux can be at any part of the route, and in some bouldering problems, the very first move up off the ground is the crux. The difficulty of the crux determines the rating of the climb or pitch.

Crux is me.

Crux is also a comic upcoming from the relatively new CrossGen Comics. Initial impressions are not too great - it looks pretty derivitave, at least the art does - sorta Witchblade in space. The plot is sorta odd - in the far future, Earth, with all its 20th century relics, is apparently some sorta weird-o galactic theme park. However, it is written by Mark Waid, and he is pretty damn cool, so there is yet hope.

Crux (kr?ks), n.; pl. E. Cruxes (-z), L. Cruces (kr"sz). [L., cross, torture, trouble.]

Anything that is very puzzling or difficult to explain.

Dr. Sheridan.

The perpetual crux of New Testament chronologists. Strauss.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.