Leg-twisting footballing skill, popularised by 70's Dutch legend Johan Cruijff (Cruyff).

The Cruyff turn is, theoretically, quite easy to perform. Simply shape up as if you're about to give the ball a good thwack (i.e. you're about to cross, shoot, or hoof it). This involves planting a standing leg near the ball, and then bringing the other foot back in preperation for an almighty hoof. As the defender lunges across you (and they always do) to block your clearly signalled intentions, wrap your foot around the far side of the ball, and casually drag it behind your standing foot. This should leave your defender face down in the grass, and is all the more satisfying if you can incorporate some form of gallic shrug into your movement.

Things to avoid when performing the Cruyff turn

1. Falling over
This is very easy to do. The most common cause is tripping yourself up, but also watch out for treading on the ball, running into a teammate, and twisting your ankle. Gallic shrugging doesn't help with any of these.
2. Becoming predictable
Once mastered, the Cruyff turn can become addictive. Tie a few opponents in knots, and suddenly you are Johan Cruyff. You may well believe this, but others will not, and before long you'll find no-one will pass to you.
3. Becoming dizzy
Another side effect of Cruyff turn addiction. Can lead to poor distribution and nausea.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.