A Cuban sandwich (or just a cuban) is easily found in south Florida. It is made most commonly from Cuban bread, ham, Swiss cheese, mustard, tomato and pickles. After the sandwich is constructed, the outer part of the bread is brushed with melted butter and is pressed between two heating elements covered in aluminium foil. This warms the insides of the sandwich and makes the outside buttery and crispier with a nice golden brown look.

You may find some sandwich shops that put roast pork and/or salami in the midst of the ham and cheese. It's good! If you have the chance, try a Cuban sandwich! It could be consider's Miami's answer to the Philadelphia Cheesesteak!

The great GangstaFeelsGood says that you can easily find Cuban sandwiches in New York City.

The Cuban sandwich was originated by factory workers who weren't allowed much of a lunch break, if any. The workers could eat their big, filling lunch with one hand while continuing to roll cigars or whatever with their other hand.

Cuban sandwiches (often referred to as just "Cubans") are taken very seriously in both Miami and Tampa, with the alternative newspapers doing annual taste tests of the best and worst Cubans.

In many restaurants and delis where Cubans are available, there are only two options when you order: with or without lettuce and tomato, and pressed or unpressed. Any other special request, such as "hold the pickles," will at best be met with grudging acceptance and at worst with outright hostility.

However, the most essential part of the Cuban is the bread. The same ingredients on a different kind of bread result in something other than a Cuban; most dining establishments then refer to it as a media noche (midnight sandwich), most commonly served on a sweet roll. Media noches are actually more readily available throughout the United States than Cuban sandwiches, since fresh Cuban bread is only available in cities with a large enough Cuban community to support a Cuban bakery.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.