Cultural studies has grown from the social observations of various societies and the different perspectives put forward as explainations. Culture is a huge phenomena that differs from other disciplines like economics as it is difficult for one society to adopt the wealth of another country, but they can import the commodity of the culture. Take the case study of Coca a Cola. It is widely available, it is the prize example of globalisation.

Richard Hoggart is seen, along with Stuart Hall, in the 1960's in Birmingham, Britain, to be the founding fathers of the British Centre for Contemptory Studies.

The origins of cultural studies can be traced back to the Industrial Revolution. It was during this period that European history not only evolved, but the growth in the Empire of Britain was yielded. From capital gained, the economic growth empowered the discovery of foreign lands, education and science.

Capital was the product of exploitation and from such Enlightenment years the stereotype of Britain ruling the waves has still stigma within countries that were ruled by the Commonwealth.

Cultural studies is a course of study usually teamed with media studies, history and languages. Art courses such as these are reviewed with some caution and hierachrical humour. They are considered to be irrelevent degree courses for those not bright enough to take on the old school values of maths, science and law.

The high importance of cultural studies is the diversity it entails. No other sociological subject incorparates such mediums as television adverts, movies and popular fiction as valid cultural texts forms worthy of serious critical evaluation and study.

"Cultural Studies" is a catch-all term for a movement that arose in American academic circles in the 1980s that sought to decenter and deconstruct the traditional narratives of the traditional academic disciplines by drawing upon interdisciplinary methodologies to foreground previously marginalized voices. Essentially, Cultural Studies was the putting into academic practice of the three "posts" - poststructuralism, postmodernism, and postcolonialism.

At its height in the late 1980s, Cultural Studies was a valuable enterprise that uncovered and brought to light previously ignored narratives - notably those of women, minorities, previously colonized peoples, and gays and lesbians - and demonstrated the utility of greater interdisciplinary integration by combining, in new and innovative ways, traditional disciplines such as history, literature, sociology, anthropology, linguistics, and art. Moreover, by taking the postmodernist view that everything is a text, Cultural Studies led scholars to greatly expand the scope of their investigations to previously under-utilized sources such as film, advertisements, popular fiction, mass-market products, and anything else under the sun.

By the mid-nineties, however, Cultural Studies had begun to lose its vitality as an intellectual concept, sinking under the weight of its own arrogance and, to be brutally honest, the sheer incompetence of many of its proclaimed practitioners. By claiming everything as a text potentially subject to the purview of Cultural Studies-type analysis, the field, such as it ever was, lost its focus and became increasingly harder to define. Moreover, Cultural Studies became a huge fad in academia, such that eventually the voices of its comparatively few intelligent exponents were drowned beneath a deluge of mediocre stuides written by lesser lights who had mastered the lingo of postmodernism while missing most of the point.

In the end Cultural Studies was a victim of its own success - in discrediting the ossified, monolithic, establishment interpretations of the past, Cultural Studies itself became a monolithic establishment, and was ossified within its own terminology, which came to acquire a feeling of hackneyed cliche. Most importantly, however, the so-called "traditional disciplines" that had been so viciously assaulted by the Cultural Studies lightning storm had quietly incorporated the strengths of the Cultural Studies approach while discarding its excesses, and emerged from the 1990s stronger and more relevant than ever. Meanwhile, few serious scholars would still actively claim the label of Cultural Studies today.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.