This doesn't sound Chinese, more like Indian, but it is so widely served in Hong Kong that it may have integrated itself into Cantonese cuisine. I suspect the source to be the many Indians and Pakistanis that came to Hong Kong with the British in the colonial eras, many descendants of these initial settlers stayed in Hong Kong and have become part of the culture. I'm not sure if there is an Indian dish that parallels this, or if this dish is still similar or very different from it.

I have also tried this with lamb, and it tastes very good. It is made pretty much the same way as curry chicken. You can adjust the "heat" of the dish by varying the amount of curry powder added into it. Also, I have added my own ingredients into my mother's recipe, which is straight out of a cookbook, such as potatoes and mushrooms. They worked pretty well. You can serve this as lunch or dinner. The curry sauce is truly excellent with rice. I drink coca cola if it is too hot.

Ingredients

Cooking
  1. Heat up the oil and brown the onions.
  2. Add in 2 tablespoons of salt, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 2 tablespoons of vinegar, 2 tablespoons of curry powder (for medium heat), and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste into the onions. Toss until mixed.
  3. Add chicken and toss until the chicken is coated with the curry mixture. Cover, and let it simmer for an hour.
  4. For some odd reason, this tastes better if served the next day. Wrap in and put it in the fridge. The next day, take it out, add a bit of water if necessary, and heat it over a low fire. Serve warm, with rice.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.