Cynthia Voigt was born Cynthia Irving on February 25, 1942, in Boston. By the time she started high school, she knew she wanted to be a writer, though it wouldn't happen for a while. After graduating from Smith College in Massachusetts, she went to New York City to work for an advertising agency. She married in 1964 and moved to Santa Fe, where she ended up teaching, though she'd vowed never to teach. The minute she walked into a classroom, she loved teaching too much not to pursue it.

Voigt is still a teacher, though she has only one class a day - what she calls a "cupcake schedule." She does not intend to retire for writing or from teaching. "Having gotten myself into a position where I can have my cake and eat it too, I feel no compulsion to get up from the table."

Voigt likes to read, eat well, play tennis, and see movies. She also likes "hanging around with our children and considering the weather."


Quotes:

(on teaching) "It's like going out for dinner and everybody at the table has to talk about what I'm really interested in."

"Human beings have, so far, proved interesting enough to keep me busy just trying to figure out what might be right and true about them."

"My writing is my way of saying, ‘Have you looked at it this way?’ "


Books:

Bad Girls

Bad, Badder, Baddest

Building Blocks

The Callender Papers

Come a Stranger

David and Jonathan

Dicey's Song (1983 Newbery Award)

Elske

Homecoming

It's Not Easy Being Bad

Izzy, Willy-Nilly

Jackaroo

On Fortune's Wheel

Orfe

The Runner

Seventeen Against the Dealer

A Solitary Blue

Sons from Afar

Sunday Morning

Tell Me If the Lovers Are Losers

Tree by Leaf

The Vandemark Mummy

When She Hollers

The Wings of a Falcon


thanks to:
http://www.scils.rutgers.edu/special/kay/voigt.html
http://www.randomhouse.com/BB/teachers/bios/voigt.html
http://teacher.scholastic.com/authorsandbooks/authors/voigt/bio.htm
http://www.carr.lib.md.us/mae/voigt.htm
www.amazon.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.