D&D Miniatures is a miniatures wargame put out by Wizards of the Coast that is set in their Dungeons and Dragons universe, although not in any one particular world. The game is sold in little box sets that each contain a variety of miniatures. Several different starter sets have also been made and those starter sets also contain the rules to the game itself. The hardcover Dungeons and Dragons book entitled "Miniatures Handbook" also contains the complete miniatures rules, although those rules are now out of date, as they have changed somewhat since the release of that book.

Wizards of the Coast has always been big on selling their products in ways that cause people to spend a whole lot of money on them, and the D&D Miniatures game is a prime example of this. The figures (which are plastic), come in sets of eight, and have been priced in the $9-$13 range. There have also been a few sets that contained 8 normal figures and one very large one, and those sets were priced at $20 per set.

They want to make you buy a lot of these things, so each box of miniatures contains four "Common" figures, three "Uncommon" figures and one "Rare" figure. Most of the sets of figures have contained 24 different "Rare" figures, so that means you are buying at least 24 boxes of these figures just to complete a single set of them, and there have already been 12 sets of them. That means thousands of dollars spent on what amounts to a few pounds of plastic.

These miniatures are also very popular for use with the Dungeons and Dragons roleplaying game. In fact most of the people that purchase them purchase them for exactly that reason. This is rather unfortunate because the contents of the various sets are absolutely horrible for playing Dungeons and Dragons. Using miniatures with Dungeons and Dragons essentially means that you need a dozen or two dozen figures representing men, dwarves, elves, halflings and such, and then about a million figures representing monsters. The D&D Miniatures boxes are very, very, very heavily stacked towards men, dwarves, elves, and humanoids but with very few actual monsters, and what monsters are in the sets are often oddball monsters that get almost no use in play. If you buy a lot of boxes of these figures you will end up with vast hoardes of useless men, dwarves, elves, a smaller selection of kobolds, goblins, and orcs (many of which will be in identical poses) and you won't even begin to have a decent selection of actual monster figures. Your collection might have seventy dwarves in it, but you would be lucky to have a single rust monster, and seventy dwarves are neither useful for Dungeons and Dragons or D&D Miniatures because neither set of rules properly scales to that many figures on the table.

If you simply play Dungeons and Dragons as a player, then a few boxes of these figures can keep you in character figures for a long time (and you can usually trade away the few monsters and bad guys in your boxes to your friends for more good guy figures). But if you are a game master wanting to use miniatures then you will find that you quickly end up with a very expensive miniatures collection that is so overwhelmingly full of humanoids, and you will still be missing most of the classic monsters and likely won't be able to properly field many encounters. If you are a gamemaster then I suggest actually going on eBay and spending a few bucks buying the common and uncommon figures from the recent sets (you can usually purchase all the common and uncommon figures from any given set in a single auction from many sellers, for almost no money), as those will give you all the bulk humanoids you need. As for monsters, you are better off buying metal monster miniatures from Reaper Miniatures, not only do they look better, it actually winds up being a lot cheaper that way.

"Plastic crack", in geek parlance. Or a fairly nifty strategy game. It all depends on how you play it (and perhaps your budgetary willpower).

Knowledge: History

Dungeons & Dragons is the venerable granddad of all RPGs, and after 30 years it's still the most widely-played game in the genre. Over that time, the game has largely gone full-circle.

In the late 70s, D&D began as a tabletop strategy game played with armies of miniature orcs and elves instead of miniature Frenchmen and Prussians. In the 80s, D&D became an iconic "dungeon crawl" game where players drew maps and rolled dice to battle imaginary monsters in trap-filled tombs. In the 90s, D&D branched out in more directions (from the high fantasy Forgotten Realms to the sci-fi tinged weirdness of Planescape and Spelljammer) and the game became more about telling a good story— with monsters and traps thrown in, of course. In 2000, the 3rd Edition of D&D brought the game "back to the dungeon"— and, not coincidentally, back to miniatures.

Attack of opportunity

In previous editions of D&D, miniatures were optional. Many players, myself included, play the game simply by describing where they are in relation to the other characters. If exact distances become important, a quick map can be drawn on a piece of scrap paper. This is fun; it's fast, it's challenging, it's infinitely portable... it is not, however, very profitable. You can't sell scratch paper.

It's also a niche product, since it only appeals to certain kinds of people (the kinds of people who never stopped "using their imagination" basically), while a game where you move around tangible pieces on a board is an easier concept for the mainstream market to grasp. To that end, D&D 3rd Edition introduced new rules that made the game much more miniature-oriented. The updated v3.5 Player's Handbook even lists "miniatures to represent each character" under the heading "What You Need to Play", right alongside pencils, paper & dice.

In 2003, to the surprise of no one, Wizards of the Coast (the publisher of D&D) launched a "Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures" game to fill that burning need. Ka-ching!

Synergy bonus

So, in crass business terms, WotC created their own market and then exploited it. Despite that unflattering backstory though, I should say that DDM itself is a fairly nifty & well-balanced little strategy game.

The game is actually a potent fusion of 3 major sub-genres: It has a distribution system of "starter sets" and "booster packs" borrowed straight from CCGs (cf Magic: The Gathering), the slow detail-intensive strategy of a wargame (cf Warhammer 40K), and the familiar rules and setting of an RPG (cf Dungeons and Dragons, obviously).

Each player controls a "warband" of 8 fantasy creatures— goblins, unicorns, giants, demons, you name it— with each creature represented by its own unique figurine. For game balance, each figure has a specific "point cost" and each warband must weigh-in below a certain point limit (200pts, typically). Every figure comes with a card describing its various attack options and abilities. The players take turns moving their pieces around a 2-dimensional grid (called a "terrain") and making attacks against the enemy. Attacks are resolved with the roll of a twenty-sided die.

The rules themselves are a slimmed-down version of 3.5 D&D, with only a few major changes: damage is predictable instead of random, pieces attack in "activation phases" (I move two, you move two) instead of initiative order, and most units must make a "morale save" roll when they drop to half their starting hit points (if they fail the die roll, the unit becomes "routed" and is effectively useless).

What I like most about the game, though, is its open-endedness. When I was a kid I was constantly mixing pieces from different board games and making up new rules. ("Hey, what if we used the little Game of Life cars in Monopoly? Better yet, what about the cannons from Risk? Mwahaha..."). DDM isn't so much a game as an ever-expanding set of game pieces. Do with 'em what you want.

Appraise check

The huge downside, of course, is price. Full disclosure: I purchased exactly one DDM starter set and two booster packs in the entire time my friends and I played the game (on and off for about a year). Total cost = about $45. This is the absolute limit I'm willing to spend on a game, any game.

Like passport says in the w/u above, buying D&D minis just for RPG usage is insane. Gamers, please stop and consider what you and your friend could have bought with that combined $90. Dozens upon dozens of pewter minis on Ebay? A small stack of sourcebooks? 3 or 4 complete board games? Or— dare I say it— a memorable weekend of food, drink & adventure, outside, in the real world?

For pre-painted plastic figures, though, they certainly are pretty-lookin'. The figures in the first few sets were a bit funky, with cartoonish features and a limited color scheme. But as time rolls on, the level of detail has increased remarkably, to the point that even lowly "commons" are often vibrant and richly-detailed. They've also gotten bigger: beginning with the 4th set, "Giants of Legend", each set of 60 figures has included a few battlefield-dwarfing figures of the "Large" or "Huge" size category, standing 6+ inches tall. Some of these make for respectable paperweights and geek chic office decor between sessions.

Random encounter table

To date, there have been 14 sets of minis (and always another on the way), each with a different general theme:

  1. Harbinger (Sept 2003): iconic characters & monsters
  2. Dragoneye (Dec 2003): dragons & dragonslayers
  3. Archfiends (Mar 2004): paragons of good & evil
  4. Giants of Legend (Jun 2004) : giants & giant-killers
  5. Aberrations (Oct 2004): weird horrors & dungeon-crawlers
  6. Deathknell (Mar 2005): deadly creatures & dark heroes
  7. Angelfire (Jun 2005): angels & demons
  8. Underdark (Oct 2005): drow
  9. War Drums (Mar 2006): goblins
  10. War of the Dragon Queen (Jul 2006): Tiamat & her spawn
  11. Blood War (Nov 2006): outsiders & planewalkers
  12. Unhallowed (Mar 2007): the undead
  13. Night Below (Jul 2007): classic dungeon-delvers & dungeon-dwellers
  14. Desert of Desolation (Nov 2007): exotic adventurers

When one set goes into production, the previous set is retired, creating an element of forced scarcity that fuels the "collectible" aspect of the game. However, WotC designed the game so that each set is backwards compatible: that is, you can combine pieces from any set when creating a warband.

Individual pieces can be procured pretty easily (and inexpensively) on Ebay or at your friendly local game shop. It's also a pretty easy way to develop a crippling addiction to tiny plastic figurines, so beware and for gods' sakes try to roll high on your morale save.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.