DNMI is the acronym for Det Norske Meteorologiske Institutt, which in English has the official name Norwegian Meteorological Institute.

It is a governmental service under the Ministry of Education and Research, and the institute's regulations were established by Royal Decree and basically states that it should contribute to the protection of life and property and provide meteorological services on a commercial basis. The latter chiefly includes aeronautical services to the Norwegian Air Traffic and Airport Management (Avinor) as well as weather reports for broadcast and print media.

Their duties include issuing weather forecasts, study national climatological conditions, provide observations and participate in international cooperation.

DNMI's core activities are observations from their 11 meteorological offices on various airports, research and development, weather forecasting and climatological services. To aid in weather observations, meteorological stations have been set up in hundreds of representative locations around the country. These are operated by locals which report in on a daily basis.

Headquarters are located in in Oslo, next to the University of Oslo, in Gaustadalléen and Oslo Research Park. Regional offices have been set up in Bergen and Tromsø, handling weather forecasts and market activities in the respectively western and northern regions of Norway. The Tromsø office is also responsible for the arctic weather stations at Bear Island, Jan Mayen and Hopen as well as the fishery and polar activities in the northern region.

Meteorological offices are located at the following major airports (IATA codes in parenthesis):

DNMI employs about 500 people in addition to the around 650 paid observers all over Norway. Roughly half of the 500 full time employees work in the Oslo offices.

DNMI's web site is found at http://www.met.no/english/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.