Broadsheet UK newspaper with strong news and sports coverage. Right-wing (nickname: the Torygraph). Sister paper the Sunday Telegraph. Overtook the sales figures of The Times soon after its launch in 1855 (originally as The Daily Telegraph and Courier) when the price was cut to a penny. The re-introduction of the word 'The' in the paper's title was the subject of a front-page news item when Max Hastings took over as editor. The first of the UK broadsheets to mount a major Internet presence (although the Guardian's Online section on a Thursday had long used electronic bulletin boards and e-mail). The first national paper to run a searchable news archive. Also has a series of special interest 'satellite' sites.
www.dailytelegraph.com focuses on opinion pages.
Sunday Telegraph founded in 1961.
The Daily Telegraph operates largely out of One Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London. The paper uses floors 11,12,14,15 and 16 (The building has no floor 13, bad luck etc.).

The newspaper is printed at West Ferry, a mile down the road from Canary Wharf.

The Saturday supplement is also written and marketed form Canary Wharf but is printed in Dresden, Germany.

The newspaper is still Britains largest selling quality daily newspaper, despite Murdoch's attempts to price it out of the market after a sustained period of reducing The Times cover price to 10pence.

It is edited by Charles Moore (Sunday Telegraph is edited by Dominic Lawson) and run by Jeremy Deedes (son of Bill Deedes, recently voted journalist of the century).

Since the mid '80's The Telegraph has been a wholly owned subsiduary of the Hollinger group, fronted by Canadian entrepreneur, Conrad Black.

I am currently sitting at my desk at The Telegraph writing this and I'd better stop and do some work.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.