Literally "big name". A feudal lord (large land-holder or ruler of a province). The term was first used in this sense in the 11th century. During the Japanese civil wars (1467-late 1500s) it referred to military leaders. During the Tokugawa era it referred specifically to lords who held sway over domains producing 10,000 koku of rice per annum (about 1,800 cubic meters).

Compiled overview of the 40 ton Daimyo 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



A heavy priority for the survival of the Draconis Combine during the Clan invasion was the repair of the badly damaged Luthien Armor Works facility. While the buildings where under reconstruction, 'Mech designs were developed using new technologies and the experience gained from the horrific fighting the Kurita forces had just endured. The Daimyo has the distinction of being the first new 'Mech design to be produced at the rebuilt Luthien Armor Works.

The first Daimyo stepped of the production line in February 3053. A public display was made of the new BattleMech on the planet Luthien to show the people the determination of the Dragon. After reviewing the initial test results, Theodore Kurita ordered that the first run of the new Daimyos be sent to units in areas near the Outworlds Alliance for further field testing. This design has yet to see actual combat but is expected to do well.

The DMO-1K Daimyo is built around the reliable and spacious Alshain Type 59-40M chassis. All electronics are tied together seamlessly with the use of Luthien Armor Works' beloved Eagle Eye SY10-10 Tracking System and a Sipher CommSys 4 Communications System.

The Daimyo weaponry is a good mix that encompasses all firing ranges. She mounts a Lord's Light-2 Extended-Range Particle Beam Weapon in the left arm and a pair of Victory 23R Medium Lasers in the right. A Shannon SH-60 SRM-6 rack is imbedded within the right torso with 2 tons of ammunition in the bay beside it, allowing for thirty flights. Luthien Armor Works has installed double heat sinks instead of standard ones, but Mechwarriors who pilot the Daimyo must still be wary of heat buildup in the cockpit because firing all the 'Mech's weapons at once could be very dangerous.

The first draft of the Daimyo's design mounted four jump jets, but at the expense of using the heavier and balls-ier Nissan 200 fusion plant that currently powers it. With a cruising speed of 54 kph and a maximum flanking speed of 81 kph, the Daimyo's speed is equal to or better than most other traditional 40-ton BattleMechs in the Inner Sphere.

Over seven tons of Starshield ferro-fibrous armor allows the Daimyo to absorb tremendous amounts of damage for its size.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.